Subject: bug#13452: 24.1; Macro Playback Fails When Buffer Scrolls

From: Raymond Zeitler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 18:01:13 +0000

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 24.1; Macro Playback Fails When Buffer Scrolls
--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

***************
Create a file with many more lines than the buffer can display at once.
In my test, the buffer has about 500 identical lines like this:

123456789 0123456789 01234567890

Then place Point at line 1 column 1.

I recorded the keyboard macro that you see in Recent Input, which merely
moves point just past the first 9, then deletes it and puts an "x" in
its place for the first three lines.  Then it puts a "y" for the next
three.  Point is then moved to the start of the next line before the
macro is finished recording.

Play back the macro a few dozen times.

As Point keeps moving down, the buffer will need to scroll.  When it
does scroll, Point will not return to the start of the next line.

This happens also in version 23.4.1 on Win 7 and on 23.2.1 on Windows XP.

I guess the workaround would be to conclude the macro with C-u 0 l.

I'm amazed that I've been using Emacs (with macros) for 12.5 years and
never noticed this before!

***************

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/emacs-24.1/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
of 2012-06-10 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
`configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x ( <C-right> <backspace> x <down> <backspace> x
<down> <backspace> x <kp-home> <down> <C-right> <backspace>
y <down> <backspace> y <down> <backspace> y <kp-home>
<down> C-x ) C-x e e e e e M-x r e p o <tab> r t -
e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Defining kbd macro...
Keyboard macro defined
(Type e to repeat macro) [5 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu view edmacro kmacro
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)

Raymond Zeitler - Senior Design Engineer
Phonon Corp 90 Wolcott Road, Simsbury CT 06070
TEL 860-651-0211 x7741
FAX 860-651-8618
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
http://www.phonon.com