Subject: 24.3.50; Replying to an HTML email yields "Text is read-only"

From: Torsten Bronger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:37:02 +0100

If I open an HTML message in Gnus and try to reply to it (with F or R),
the modeline says "Text is read-only", and the action is aborted.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu)
 of 2013-01-09 on wilson
Bzr revision: 111452 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
System Description:	Ubuntu 11.04

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/ --mandir=/usr/local/share/man/
 --infodir=/usr/local/share/info/ --with-x-toolkit=no --with-xpm
 --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-x --no-create
 --no-recursion'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-message-citation-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <escape> <backspace> <escape> 
<backspace> f i l e n a m e <up> <end> <left> <left> 
<right> <escape> <backspace> <escape> <backspace> f 
i l e n a m e C-x C-s <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<return> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <left> <return> C-u M-1 C-u 
M-^ <return> <down> C-x C-s <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> C-c g <return> c <return> d <up> <return> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> C-x 
1 d d d SPC <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <help-echo> C-x 1 d d d d d d d d d d d d 
q g <return> <return> d SPC <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> 
<double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> 
<triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> 
<mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> 
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <help-echo> F <up> <down> 
F R <down> <up> F <backspace> <backspace> M-x r e p 
o r t - b u <tab> <return> R e a d i n <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
A s ´ <backspace> <backspace> n s C-g R R R M-x M-p 
<return>

Recent messages:
copy-to-buffer: Text is read-only
Fill column set to 68 (was 79)
copy-to-buffer: Text is read-only [2 times]
Quit
Fill column set to 68 (was 68)
copy-to-buffer: Text is read-only
Fill column set to 68 (was 68)
copy-to-buffer: Text is read-only
Auto-saving...done
Fill column set to 68 (was 68)
copy-to-buffer: Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/textmodes/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail mule-util epg dabbrev misearch multi-isearch
shr-color color shr mm-archive qp gnus-picon sort smiley gnus-cite
gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml gmane nndraft nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nnml nnfolder gnus-cache
bbdb-gnus gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig
mailcap gnus-sum bbdb-snarf mail-extr bbdb-com netrc network-stream
auth-source eieio password-cache starttls tls nntp nnoo
rs-gnus-article-wash gnus-topic gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr font-latex reftex-dcr reftex
reftex-vars parse-time vc-cvs add-log sgml-mode vc-dispatcher vc-svn
cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs sh-script smie executable nxml-uchnm rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok gnuplot-gui
gnuplot info-look disp-table vc-rcs python rx vc-bzr org-wl org-w3m
org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html
org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-info org-gnus gnus-util org-docview
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-agenda ob-python org byte-opt warnings
bytecomp byte-compile cconv ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs format-spec find-func
jabber-autoloads server w3m browse-url doc-view jka-compr image-mode
dired w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image
w3m-proc w3m-util rst compile comint ansi-color ring rs-windows-1252
cl-macs gv browse-kill-ring mmm-mode mmm-univ mmm-class mmm-region
mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-utils mmm-compat cl cl-lib bbdb-autoloads bbdb
timezone cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
holidays hol-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs w3-auto preview prv-emacs info reporter latex easy-mmode
edmacro kmacro tex-style tex-buf tex dbus xml nadvice advice help-fns
easymenu autorevert tex-site auto-loads savehist time desktop delsel
cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Torsten Bronger    Jabber ID: [email-masked]
                                  or http://bronger-jmp.appspot.com