Subject: bug#1343: bug#27397: [PATCH] New commands for bulk tracing of elisp functions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 15:33:32 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>, Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2022 13:49:51 +0200
> 
> Phil Sainty <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > After a brief hiatus, I've resumed (maybe completed) my work on this.
> >
> > The branch scratch/bulk-tracing contains the updated code for Emacs 29
> > (rebased over master).
> 
> For reference, I've included the diff between master and the branch
> below.
> 
> I have not tried the patch myself -- does anybody have any comments
> here?  It seems like useful functionality to me.

Yes, it is useful.

The documentation uses UK English spelling ("behaviour").  (Perhaps
today this is justified, but since a few days will have passed until
this is landed, I think we should use US English conventions
nonetheless.)

I see lack of important detail where stuff like 'context' and
'trace-value' is described: at the very least the manual should say
whether the text will be inserted verbatim, or with something like
newlines and/or other decorations added.

IMO, the description of trace-value should be before all the untrace-*
functions.

Why isn't trace-is-traceable-p documented in the manual?  It sounds
relevant to the discussion of the restrictions.

I think the description should be updated fore native-compilation (it
only mentions byte-compilation).

The hunk from modes.texi seems unrelated.

The NEWS entry should have a single-line heading that is a full
sentence ending with a period.

Please verify that doc strings of functions mention all the
arguments.  (E.g., trace-currently-traced doesn't.)

Thanks.