Subject: bug#13416: closed (Re: bug#13416: guile e0c211b segfaults when linked against libgc 7.1)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 22:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#13416: guile e0c211b segfaults when linked against libgc 7.1

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13416: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13416
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13416: guile e0c211b segfaults when linked against libgc 7.1
From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
To: Ben Noordhuis <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 23:11:29 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sat 12 Jan 2013 03:22, Ben Noordhuis <[email-masked]> writes:

> gc.c:212:1: warning: 'GC_get_free_space_divisor' defined but not used

This comes (I think) from configuring Guile against one version of
libgc, then upgrading or downgrading libgc, and then running "make"
without reconfiguring.

Closing as not a bug.

Andy
-- 
http://wingolog.org/

Subject: guile e0c211b segfaults when linked against libgc 7.1
From: Ben Noordhuis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 03:22:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

$ uname -a
Linux zoidberg 3.7.0-rc7 #17 SMP Mon Nov 26 04:46:11 CET 2012 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ apt-cache show libgc-dev | grep ^Version
Version: 1:7.1-8ubuntu0.12.04.1
Version: 1:7.1-8build1

$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/opt/guile --enable-silent-rules
--disable-shared --disable-static
<snip>

$ make -j8
<snip>
gc.c:212:1: warning: 'GC_get_free_space_divisor' defined but not used
[-Wunused-function]
<snip>
weak-set.c: In function 'move_weak_entry':
weak-set.c:180:11: warning: passing argument 1 of 'GC_base' makes
pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
/usr/include/gc/gc.h:308:15: note: expected 'void *' but argument is
of type 'scm_t_bits'
weak-set.c:180:11: warning: passing argument 2 of
'GC_general_register_disappearing_link' makes pointer from integer
without a cast [enabled by default]
/usr/include/gc/gc.h:744:12: note: expected 'void *' but argument is
of type 'scm_t_bits'
<snip>
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/bnoordhuis/src/guile2/libguile'
  GEN    guile-procedures.texi
/bin/bash: line 1: 27907 Broken pipe             cat alist.doc
arbiters.doc array-handle.doc array-map.doc arrays.doc async.doc
backtrace.doc boolean.doc bitvectors.doc bytevectors.doc chars.doc
control.doc continuations.doc debug.doc deprecated.doc deprecation.doc
dynl.doc dynwind.doc eq.doc error.doc eval.doc evalext.doc expand.doc
extensions.doc feature.doc filesys.doc fluids.doc foreign.doc
fports.doc gc-malloc.doc gc.doc gettext.doc generalized-arrays.doc
generalized-vectors.doc goops.doc gsubr.doc guardians.doc hash.doc
hashtab.doc hooks.doc i18n.doc init.doc ioext.doc keywords.doc
list.doc load.doc macros.doc mallocs.doc memoize.doc modules.doc
numbers.doc objprop.doc options.doc pairs.doc ports.doc print.doc
procprop.doc procs.doc promises.doc r6rs-ports.doc random.doc
rdelim.doc read.doc root.doc rw.doc scmsigs.doc script.doc simpos.doc
smob.doc sort.doc srcprop.doc srfi-1.doc srfi-4.doc srfi-13.doc
srfi-14.doc srfi-60.doc stackchk.doc stacks.doc stime.doc strings.doc
strorder.doc strports.doc struct.doc symbols.doc threads.doc throw.doc
trees.doc uniform.doc values.doc variable.doc vectors.doc version.doc
vports.doc weak-set.doc weak-table.doc weak-vector.doc dynl.doc
posix.doc net_db.doc socket.doc regex-posix.doc
     27908 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) |
GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0 ../meta/uninstalled-env guild
snarf-check-and-output-texi > guile-procedures.texi

$ gdb libguile/guile libguile/core
Reading symbols from /home/bnoordhuis/src/guile2/libguile/guile...done.
[New LWP 27776]
[New LWP 27795]

warning: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error.
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `/home/bnoordhuis/src/guile2/libguile/guile -e
(@@ (guild) main) -s /home/bnoord'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
#0  0x00002b8550ca7362 in GC_generic_malloc_inner () from /usr/lib/libgc.so.1
(gdb) bt full 10
#0  0x00002b8550ca7362 in GC_generic_malloc_inner () from /usr/lib/libgc.so.1
No symbol table info available.
#1  0x00002b8550ca4bc9 in GC_general_register_disappearing_link ()
from /usr/lib/libgc.so.1
No symbol table info available.
#2  0x00000000004767bb in register_disappearing_links
(entry=0x2889970, k=<optimized out>, v=<optimized out>,
kind=<optimized out>) at weak-table.c:133
No locals.
#3  0x0000000000476c7c in weak_table_put_x (table=0x1cf7cc0,
hash=<optimized out>, pred=0x476010 <assq_predicate>,
closure=0x2c46350, key=0x2c46350, value=0x2c43950) at weak-table.c:707
        k = 6074
        distance = 0
        size = 14051
        entries = 0x2866000
#4  0x000000000047720b in scm_c_weak_table_put_x (table=<optimized
out>, raw_hash=796165648183374467, pred=0x476010 <assq_predicate>,
closure=0x2c46350, key=<optimized out>, value=<optimized out>) at
weak-table.c:931
        t = 0x1cf7cc0
#5  0x000000000043ecbc in scm_set_source_properties_x (obj=<optimized
out>, alist=0x2c43950) at srcprop.c:209
No locals.
#6  0x0000000000472d04 in vm_regular_engine (vm=0x1d589c0,
program=0x70d128, argv=0x7fffcfb2c020, nargs=2) at vm-i-system.c:866
        subr = 0x43eca0 <scm_set_source_properties_x>
        vp = 0x1d59f50
        objects = 0x1d59f50
        stack_limit = 0x1dd9000
        current_thread = 0x1cf5e00
        registers = {{
            __jmpbuf = {7393576, -835748929747507041, 30561392, 772,
2, 2, -835748932025014113, 835784069652457631},
            __mask_was_saved = 0,
            __saved_mask = {
              __val = {17610995143953655967, 30778248, 30771648, 1, 1,
30777168, 30561392, 31297536, 30501248, 30498784, 30367232, 30778240,
33597536, 0, 47851586127694, 16}
            }
          }}
        jump_table_pointer = 0x1d25470
        jump_table = 0x1d25470
#7  0x0000000000499c86 in eval (x=0x208c070, env=0x2c46330) at eval.c:340
        argv = 0x7fffcfb2c020
        i = <optimized out>
        mx = 0x304
        proc = 0x70d128
        args = <optimized out>
        argc = 2
#8  0x0000000000499176 in eval (x=0x208df70, env=0x2c46330) at eval.c:234
        mx = 0x208df80
        proc = <optimized out>
        args = <optimized out>
        argc = <optimized out>
#9  0x0000000000499c50 in eval (x=0x20b0620, env=0x2c46630) at eval.c:338
        argv = 0x7fffcfb2c340
        i = <optimized out>
        mx = 0x20b0660
        proc = 0x1de80a0
        args = <optimized out>
        argc = 2
#10 0x0000000000499afe in prepare_boot_closure_env_for_eval
(inout_env=0x7fffcfb2c520, out_body=0x7fffcfb2c528, exps=0x20b0610,
argc=<optimized out>, proc=0x1f0a8a0) at eval.c:922
        nreq = 2
        new_env = 0x20f0a90

Upgrading libgc fixes the issue so it's presumably an API/ABI mismatch.

I get some compiler warnings after upgrading.  I'm appending them for
posterity but feel free to ignore them.

gc.c: In function 'scm_gc_stats':
gc.c:313:3: warning: 'GC_gc_no' is deprecated (declared at
/home/bnoordhuis/opt/libgc/include/gc/gc.h:76)
[-Wdeprecated-declarations]
gc.c: In function 'scm_storage_prehistory':
gc.c:625:3: warning: 'GC_all_interior_pointers' is deprecated
(declared at /home/bnoordhuis/opt/libgc/include/gc/gc.h:143)
[-Wdeprecated-declarations]
<snip>
guardians.c: In function 'scm_init_guardians':
guardians.c:358:3: warning: 'GC_java_finalization' is deprecated
(declared at /home/bnoordhuis/opt/libgc/include/gc/gc.h:169)
[-Wdeprecated-declarations]

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you want more details or want me try
out something.