Subject: bug#13407: 23.2; nxml: fill-paragraph does not work before root element

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:05:54 +0100

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
A recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

- C-x C-f /tmp/sample.xml
- Insert this text:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
     consectetuer adipiscing elit,
     sed diam nonummy nibh euismod
     tincidunt ut laoreet dolore
     magna aliquam erat volutpat.  -->
<root>
  <!-- Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
       consectetuer adipiscing elit,
       sed diam nonummy nibh euismod
       tincidunt ut laoreet dolore
       magna aliquam erat volutpat.  -->
</root>

- Position the point in the first comment
- M-x fill-paragraph

- What I observe: The paragraph in the second comment gets filled.
- What I expect: The paragraph where the point is gets filled.

- Variant 1: This works if I move the first comment after the <root>
  tag.

- Variant 2: If I add a second paragraph in the first comment and try to
  fill the first paragraph, still the paragraph in the second comment
  gets filled.

- Variant 2: If I add another comment with more text before the <root>
  tag and try to fill the first paragraph, still the paragraph in the
  second comment gets filled.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2010-12-11 on brahms, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.2/leim' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: nXML

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down> M-x f i l l - p a r a <tab> <return> C-z M-x 
u n d o <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> M-x e m a c s - <S-home> r e p o r t - e 
<backspace> <S-end> <backspace> <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Using vacuous schema
Undo!

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs/23.2/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp
rng-cmpct regexp-opt rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns easymenu
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)