Subject: bug#13399: 24.3.50; Word-wrap can't wrap at zero-width space U-200B

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:17:04 +0100

> No, it's because, when mouse highlight finds a character with
 > mouse-face, it looks forward for the first character without that
 > face, and highlights everything in between.

I thought so.  Seems like zero-width spaces is the only means to fix
this.

 >> This needs an up to date display, IIUC :-(
 >
 > Yes, but only because the code to do that without looking at the
 > current glyph matrix was never written.  We do similar things all over
 > the display engine.

Could you give writing this sort of "maybe this year" priority?  Look at
that silly code in `fit-window-to-buffer' for a motivation.  Just that
the return value of such a function would have to include the height
needed for continuation lines as well.

 >> By adding hard newlines.
 >
 > I thought that way is "deprecated" in favor of C-level word-wrap,
 > which is why longlines.el is in obsolete/...

But I have to calculate the height of the window _before_ redisplay.
And for knowing the height of the window I have to know the number of
displayed lines.

martin