Subject: Re: bug#13390: tramp-adb hanging forever

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:05:10 +0100

Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Thierry,

>> I still have no chance to install adb wireless for the given reason. But
>> if you have installed also an sshd app on your device, you could check
>> any ssh-based Tramp method from now on. I've just tweaked Tramp to
>> support this; see the Tramp manual for setup hints.
>>
>> It works fine for me with my Nexus S, running Android 4.1.2, and
>> SSHDroid 1.9.6.
> I tried this morning with 'dropbear ssh server' and it didn't work
> either from helm or using it normally from emacs -Q with `find-file'.
>
> 11:32:32.784282 tramp-maybe-open-connection (6) # /bin/sh -i
> 11:32:32.787418 tramp-wait-for-regexp (6) # 
> env: can't execute '/bin/sh': No such file or directory

/bin/sh does not exist on Android devices. That's why you need to
configure another shell. As I have said above: "I've just tweaked Tramp
to support this; see the Tramp manual for setup hints." Please do so :-)

> BTW 'scpc' method is no more working (hanging forever in host completion) connecting on another machine on my
> LAN (not a mobile device).

Yes. From etc/NEWS:

** Tramp
*** The connection methods "scpc" and "rsyncc" are discontinued.  The
ssh option "ControlMaster=auto" is set automatically in all ssh-based
methods, when possible.

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.