Subject: Re: bug#13378: [IMPORTANT] Make the 'subdir-objects' setup the default, and only available one

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 22:42:56 +0100

On 01/08/2013 10:06 PM, Peter Rosin wrote:
> On 2013-01-08 16:15, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>> That would be overkill, since AM_PROG_CC_C_O is only required by
>> projects doing C compilation.
> 
> Hi,
> 
> However, a notorious C++ compiler from Redmond is inferior also in its
> C++ mode and would benefit from an AM_PROG_CXX_C_O variant.
>
No hope the unnamed company producing this compiler would listen to a
bug report? ;-)

> If the meat of AM_PROG_CC_C_O becomes part of AC_PROG_CC if would
> be nice if $CXX could be edited to wrap an inferior C++ compiler in
> AC_PROG_CXX.
>
That would require an AC_PROG_CXX_C_O in Autoconf first (well, not
actually require, but that's the avenue I'd prefer).

Then again, in the longer term, wouldn't it be better to provide a
(GNU or non-GNU) package meant to wrap all this MSVC incompatibilities
in a secluded place, instead of having Automake chase all this
intricacies with mixed fortune?  After all, we don't have random users
building on MSYS with MSVC -- the users interested in doing so should
know what they are doing, so we could ask them to install this
hypothetical "wrapping package" before trying any such compilation.
It might also be made part of MSYS itself eventually, if it proves
itself on field.

Good idea, bad idea, or simple wishful thinking?

> I.e. in similar fashion to how $CC would be edited in AC_PROG_CC.
> 
> Cheers,
> Peter
> 

Regards,
 Stefano