Subject: Re: bug#13378: [IMPORTANT] Make the 'subdir-objects' setup the default, and only available one

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 08:29:57 -0700

On 01/08/2013 08:15 AM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> That would be overkill, since AM_PROG_CC_C_O is only required by
> projects doing C compilation.  Also, IIRC, that macro needs to be
> called after AC_PROG_CC, while AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is typically invoked
> before AC_PROG_CC.

But with m4, you can arrange for AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE to redefine AC_PROG_CC
so that it hooks in a call to AM_PROG_CC_C_O immediately after its
current definition, and thus still preserve desired ordering while
making the burden simpler for the configure.ac author.

>  In addition, AM_PROG_CC_C_O is not required by
> projects that don't care about catering to inferior compilers.

How much speed penalty and configure bloat are we talking about by
allowing projects to omit the use of this macro if they don't care about
inferior compilers?  Is anyone really going to complain if we switch to
always supporting inferior compilers?

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org