Subject: Re: bug#13378: [IMPORTANT] Make the 'subdir-objects' setup the default, and only available one

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:35:58 +0100

On 01/08/2013 10:57 AM, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2013, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> 
>> Alas, since this also means changing the default behaviour of Automake
>> ('subdir-objects' is not enabled by default, sadly), this means the
>> transition path will be less smooth than I'd like.  Here it is a sketch
>> for it:
>>
>>  Automake 1.13.2
>>  ---------------
>>
>>  Give a warning in the category 'unsupported' if the 'subdir-objects'
>>  option is not specified.  This should give the users enough forewarning
>>  about the planned change, and give them time to update their packages
>>  to the new semantic.
> 
> Hi Stefano,
> 
> this warning (given when there are C - or other? - sources in subdirs)
> should also mention the need to use AM_PROG_CC_C_O.
> 
Agreed.  And glad I brought this planned change up on the list; I have
already got two good suggestions for things that I should have thought
by myself -- but alas, I didn't.  So, thanks guys!

Before proceeding with an attempted implementation in the next days, I
will prepare a brief summary of this discussion in the PLANS directory
(and post it on the list for reference).

In the meantime, of course, further feedback or suggestions are very
welcome.

Thanks,
  Stefano