Subject: bug#13240: closed (Re: bug#13366: 24.3.50; emacs 24 slow-down)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 04:21:04 +0000

Your bug report

#13366: 24.3.50; emacs slows down if left idle 

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13366: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13366
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13366: 24.3.50; emacs 24 slow-down
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: "T.V. Raman" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 23:19:25 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> With the emacs 24.3.50 built from head,  I reactivated the pieces
> of code that  caused the emacspea,/emacs combo to slow down in
> the past -- (calls to ad-deactivate and ad-activate -- and the
> advice to protect errors within font-lock-default-fontify-region.

> I'm happy to report that there is no slow down, profiler report
> with relevant portions expanded appended below.  Note that the
> problem from the past eof the advice cache getting blown away and
> computed at each call isn't showing up any more.

Great, thank you.  So we can close this bug.
Also IIUC this means that there are no remaining known problems w.r.t
Emacspeak's interaction with the new advice code.  Thanks for playing
the guinea pig,

        Stefan

Subject: 24.3.50; emacs slows down if left idle
From: raman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:13:16 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Left  emacs running overnight, it's unusable this morning. Here's
a report from memory-usage 

Garbage collection stats:
((conses 8 16033027 1423975) (symbols 24 126904 127) (miscs 20 31137 7040) (strings 16 372092 44779) (string-bytes 1 11040081) (vectors 8 100105) (vector-slots 4 1374568 23284) (floats 8 1344 945) (intervals 28 79401 9601) (buffers 508 59) (heap 1024 205026 5071))

 =>	 122MB (+ 10.9MB dead) in conses
	2.90MB (+ 2.98kB dead) in symbols
	 608kB (+  138kB dead) in miscs
	5.68MB (+  700kB dead) in strings
	10.5MB in string-bytes
	 782kB in vectors
	5.24MB (+ 91.0kB dead) in vector-slots
	10.5kB (+ 7.38kB dead) in floats
	2.12MB (+  263kB dead) in intervals
	29.3kB in buffers
	 200MB (+ 4.95MB dead) in heap

Total in lisp objects:  367MB (live  350MB, dead 17.0MB)

Buffer ralloc memory usage:
51 buffers
3.45MB total (22.5kB in gaps)
      Size	Gap	Name

   1331200	1503	 *tar-data  *http melpa.milkbox.net:80*-501722*
   1117369	2000	 *Unicode Data*
    452187	2000	.bbdb
    182179	1237	Index of /mobi-pocket/library/
    178039	1526	*shell*
    133673	340	*Packages*
     58524	2000	 *http melpa.milkbox.net:80*
     46739	2000	*Messages*
     15077	931	opds catalog generate - Google Search
     14491	1449	$sample OPDS catalog - Google Search
     14163	60	$generate opds catalog - Google Search
     13383	822	Index of /mobi-pocket/library/Agatha%20Christie/
      8669	867	internetarchive/bookserver Â· GitHub
      6940	694	*-jabber-roster-*
      4148	347	*Warnings*
      3944	106	How to add my own books catalog Â· geometer/FBReaderJ Wiki Â· GitHub
      2045	2002	 *g scratch*
      2034	203	full-shannara-collection
      1857	166	 *url-file*
      1811	181	 *http www.wunderground.com:80*
      1128	112	.hosts
       973	97	Index of /
       786	1509	*Buffer Details*
       726	72	Index of /mobi-pocket/
       678	67	 *http melpa.milkbox.net:80*-501722
       562	56	*Calendar*
       552	55	*-jabber-chat-Aarthi Raman-*
       492	21	1-shell
       468	46	Index of /mobi-pocket/library/Agatha%20Christie/4_50%20From%20Paddington%20%28190%29/
       406	40	.diary
       328	32	 *completion-save-buffer*
       191	20	*scratch*
       188	20	*ESS*
       178	20	 *amixer*
       152	20	 *Python Internal [b594afc9c748b72332ed2317545e63fa]*
        83	20	 *urlparse-temp*
        67	20	 *autoload*
        33	20	 *extract address components*
        24	20	 *canonical address*
        21	20	 *Custom-Work*
        14	20	 *code-conversion-work*
         7	20	 *dtk-scratch-buffer* 
         2	20	 *Echo Area 0*
         2	18	 *mspools-scratch*
         0	20	 *Minibuf-1*
         0	20	 *vm-nonexistent-summary*
         0	20	*Egg:Select Action*
         0	20	 *Minibuf-0*
         0	20	 *Echo Area 1*
         0	20	*Shell Command Output*
         0	20	 *-jabber-process-*

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.1)
 of 2012-12-19 on labrador
System Description:	Ubuntu 9.04

Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr/local''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  helm-dired-mode: Enable helm completion in Dired functions.
Bindings affected are C, R, S, H.
This is deprecated for Emacs24+ users, use `helm-mode' instead.
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-summary-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  display-time-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-voice-lock-mode: t
  voice-lock-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
ESC [ [ D C-x @ h s c d RET C-e ( RET C-e u r s TAB 
RET RET C-e m f q C-x @ h m C-e m , ESC < C-n C-n C-n 
C-p d n d n d q C-e x m ESC m C-n SPC N , N , F RET 
A h SPC ESC m C-e C-e SPC t h a t ' s SPC b e c a u 
s e SPC v o i c e SPC l o c k SPC w a s SPC n e v e 
r SPC c o r r e c l t y SPC SPC i m p l e m e n t e 
d SPC f o r SPC e s p e a k C-e C-s C-e m ESC m C-e 
m ESC m ESC < C-e m ESC m ESC < C-s e s p ESC m ESC 
C-c C-c C-e m C-e m ESC [ [ C C-e m ESC c q C-e m ESC 
[ [ D n C-e m ESC m C-n q C-x @ h s c d RET C-e t C-e 
m C-e m ESC x m e m o r TAB RET C-e m ESC < C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-x h C-x r s C-e m ESC > C-e a C-x 
C-g C-g ESC x r e p o r t SPC b u TAB e TAB RET

Recent messages:
Writing index file... done
/home/raman/Mail/lists/emacspeak removed
Save `reply to tyler_tysdomain.com, ...' as draft in folder `postponed'? (y or n)  n
`reply to tyler_tysdomain.com, ...' is gone forever!
Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 468) signaled (quit)
~ 
Marked buffer  containing 73 lines
Copied 73 lines to register 
Quit
ad-Advice-signal: End of buffer [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/site-lisp/gm/g-utils hides /home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/g-client/g-utils
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/site-lisp/vm/lisp/tapestry hides /home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/tapestry
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/tetris hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/play/tetris

Features:
(shadow emacsbug memory-usage emacspeak-supercite supercite regi
mailalias vm-reply emacspeak-hide emacspeak-url-template amixer
semantic/db-file data-debug cedet-files semantic/wisent/python
semantic/decorate/include semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref
semantic/decorate/mode semantic/decorate pulse semantic/dep
semantic/wisent/python-wy semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
bug-reference goto-addr vm-sort vm-virtual vm-delete tapestry
vm-rfaddons vm-menu vm-window vm-toolbar vm-mouse vm-page
vm-minibuf emacspeak-vm vm rect emacspeak-websearch
emacspeak-w3search tramp-cache w3-style w3-imenu w3-speak-table
w3-structure w3-hot mm-archive url-file url-dired w3-toolbar
w3-speak w3-forms w3-emacs w3-props emacspeak-sh-script sh-script
nxml-uchnm emacspeak-nxml rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc
xmltok misearch multi-isearch emacspeak-gnus gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group
gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range emacspeak-message message mml mml-sec gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader inf-lisp clojure-mode
flymake color-theme bookmark+ bookmark+-key bookmark+-1
bookmark+-bmu bookmark+-lit bookmark+-mac dired+ dired-details
emacspeak-sql sql auto-complete-config python
ein-multilang-fontify ein-ac ein-connect ein-notebooklist rst
markdown-mode ein-dev ein-notebook ein-pytools ein-pager
ein-completer ein-subpackages ein-notification ein-scratchsheet
ein-worksheet ein-kill-ring ein-cell ein-output-area
ein-kernelinfo ein-kernel ein-query ein-events ein-websocket
websocket emacspeak-calc calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs ein-node
ein-log ein-core ein-utils ein ein-loaddefs auto-complete popup
auto-complete-autoloads popup-autoloads emms-volume-amixer locate
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-tag-editor emms-info-metaflac
emms-mark emms-last-played epc ctable concurrent deferred ess-dde
ess-omg-l paren ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme ess-menu ess-swv
ess-noweb essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a ess-arc-d
ess-vst-d ess-xls-d ess-sta-d ess-sta-l make-regexp ess-sp6-d
ess-sp5-d ess-sp3-d ess-julia ess-r-d ess-tracebug ess-roxy
ess-help reporter ess-developer ess-r-args ess-s-l ess-site
emacspeak-ess ess ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-custom executable
ess-inf ess-utils ess-bugs-l ess-compat ess-lsp-l pcase dotassoc
kv kv-autoloads octave-mod smie html-mode-expansions
expand-region-custom expand-region-core fold-dwim
emacspeak-hideshow hideshow gh-issues gh-gist header2
lib-requires w3m-bookmark helm-imenu helm-elisp helm-eval
helm-mode helm-files image-dired helm-buffers helm-elscreen
helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net
helm-plugin emacspeak-bookmark bookmark helm-locate helm-help
helm-match-plugin helm-grep helm-regexp helm-external helm-utils
helm emacspeak-generic generic emacspeak-js2 js2-mode
emacspeak-imenu imenu loadhist rx esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt
esh-ext esh-proc esh-groups emacspeak-eshell esh-arg eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util emacspeak-iswitchb iswitchb
emacspeak-view view gh-pulls gh-repos gh-oauth gh-api logito
gh-cache pcache gh-auth gh-common oauth hex-util hmac-sha1
plstore packed magithub crm emacspeak-magit magit-bisect
magit-key-mode magit log-edit pcvs-util emacspeak-add-log add-log
ert debug cc-langs emacspeak-c cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
scala-mode-feature scala-mode-ui scala-mode-fontlock
scala-mode-indent scala-mode-variables scala-mode-inf
scala-mode-navigation scala-mode-lib scala-mode-constants
emacspeak-speedbar speedbar sb-image dframe
scala-mode-feature-tags scratch rswitcher tree-widget
emacspeak-gud gud etags apropos emacspeak-arc arc-mode
archive-mode hyperspec emacspeak-tar tar-mode list-utils
list-utils-autoloads bindat grep emacspeak-compile compile
autoload network-stream url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth
pcmpl-unix jabber-bookmarks jabber-private emacspeak-wizards
emacspeak-eterm term ehelp emacspeak-texinfo texinfo
emacspeak-table-ui emacspeak-table emacspeak-find-dired
find-dired eldoc lisp-mnt t-mouse cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam
cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs gcal g-app mule-util cal-move
server w3-wget wget wget-sysdep emms-info-libtag emms-lastfm
emms-url emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-score
emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics
emms-streams emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do emms-playlist-mode
emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist
emms-source-file emms-setup emacspeak-emms emms emms-compat
emacspeak-dictionary dictionary link connection emacspeak-reftex
reftex reftex-vars egg emacspeak-diff-mode diff-mode ffap
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util
emacspeak-ediff ediff-mult ediff-init ediff electric
Save-visited-files-autoloads anaphora-autoloads
android-mode-autoloads auctex-autoloads emacspeak-auctex tex-site
bash-completion-autoloads bm-autoloads bookmark+-autoloads
browse-kill-ring-autoloads browse-url-dwim-autoloads
buffer-utils-autoloads c-eldoc-autoloads cl-format-autoloads
cljdoc-autoloads clojure-project-mode-autoloads
clojurescript-mode-autoloads closure-lint-mode-autoloads
closure-template-html-mode-autoloads color-theme-autoloads
cppcheck-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
dart-mode-autoloads deft-autoloads dictionary-autoloads
dired+-autoloads dired-details+-autoloads dired-details-autoloads
dired-isearch-autoloads dired-single-autoloads dizzee-autoloads
doc-mode-autoloads dotassoc-autoloads durendal-autoloads
clojure-mode-autoloads ecb-snapshot-autoloads echo-pick-autoloads
edbi-autoloads egg-autoloads eimp-autoloads ein-autoloads
elisp-cache-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads emms-autoloads
epc-autoloads ctable-autoloads concurrent-autoloads
deferred-autoloads epoch-view-autoloads eshell-info-autoloads
emacspeak-info info ess-autoloads esxml-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads fakir-autoloads
find-file-in-project-autoloads find-file-in-repository-autoloads
find-things-fast-autoloads fold-dwim-org-autoloads
fold-dwim-autoloads gist-autoloads go-mode-autoloads
google-this-autoloads google-translate-autoloads gopher-autoloads
header2-autoloads heap-autoloads helm-autoloads
http-twiddle-autoloads ido-ubiquitous-autoloads iflipb-autoloads
igrep-autoloads inflections-autoloads ioccur-autoloads
isearch+-autoloads js-comint-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads
key-chord-autoloads kill-ring-search-autoloads
lib-requires-autoloads lmc-autoloads loccur-autoloads
macro-math-autoloads magit-gh-pulls-autoloads gh-autoloads
logito-autoloads magithub-autoloads magnet-autoloads
markchars-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads marmalade-autoloads
furl-autoloads maxframe-autoloads memory-usage-autoloads
minimap-autoloads mustache-mode-autoloads my-packages-autoloads
nav-autoloads oauth-autoloads oauth2-autoloads otp-autoloads
packed-autoloads magit-autoloads paredit-autoloads
pcache-autoloads perspective-autoloads project-autoloads
project-mode-autoloads levenshtein-autoloads
protobuf-mode-autoloads pylint-autoloads pysmell-autoloads
python-mode-autoloads quarter-plane-autoloads queue-autoloads
regex-tool-autoloads register-list-autoloads scala-mode-autoloads
scratch-autoloads session-autoloads shadchen-autoloads
shell-here-autoloads shell-switcher-autoloads edmacro
emacspeak-kmacro kmacro slime-repl-autoloads slime-autoloads
smex-autoloads ssh-config-mode-autoloads string-utils-autoloads
synonyms-autoloads tabkey2-autoloads tabula-rasa-mode-autoloads
texdrive-autoloads thumb-through-autoloads tidy-autoloads
unbound-autoloads vlf-autoloads watch-buffer-autoloads
wcheck-mode-autoloads websocket-autoloads wget-autoloads
wgrep-autoloads workspaces-autoloads wtf-autoloads
xml-gen-autoloads yagist-autoloads finder-inf package
emacs-startup uniquify semantic/idle semantic/format ezimage
semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt semantic/db-mode
semantic/db eieio-base saveplace midnight emacspeak-cedet
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet savehist emacspeak-ido
ido time autoinsert emacspeak-gm gm tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs emacspeak-twittering twittering-mode parse-time
epa epg epg-config ssl emacspeak-jabber jabber jabber-libnotify
jabber-awesome jabber-osd jabber-wmii jabber-xmessage
jabber-festival jabber-sawfish jabber-ratpoison jabber-screen
jabber-socks5 jabber-ft-server jabber-si-server jabber-ft-client
jabber-ft-common jabber-si-client jabber-si-common
jabber-feature-neg jabber-truncate jabber-time jabber-autoaway
jabber-vcard-avatars jabber-chatstates jabber-events jabber-vcard
jabber-avatar jabber-activity jabber-watch jabber-modeline
jabber-ahc-presence jabber-ahc jabber-version jabber-ourversion
jabber-muc-nick-completion hippie-exp jabber-browse jabber-search
jabber-register jabber-roster jabber-presence jabber-muc
jabber-muc-nick-coloring assoc hexrgb jabber-newdisco
jabber-widget jabber-disco jabber-chat jabber-history
jabber-chatbuffer jabber-alert jabber-iq jabber-core
jabber-console emacspeak-sgml-mode sgml-mode ewoc jabber-keymap
jabber-sasl sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain fsm
jabber-logon jabber-conn srv dns starttls tls jabber-xml
jabber-menu jabber-autoloads jabber-util emacspeak-erc
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat pp emacspeak-org org
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint
ob-keys org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
emacspeak-outline foldout noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs
format-spec emacspeak-find-func find-func emacspeak-calendar
lunar solar cal-dst diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs emacspeak-tcl tcl emacspeak-folding folding
emacspeak-w3m w3m-form emacspeak-m-player w3m doc-view jka-compr
image-mode w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util w3-prepare w3 w3-menu
w3-emulate w3-auto w3-parse w3-fast-parse mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode emacspeak-w3 emacspeak-google emacspeak-we
emacspeak-xslt w3-display w3-mouse w3-imap url-handlers w3-widget
w3-vars w3-keymap w3-cus css font disp-table devices ange-ftp
w3-cfg w3-compat emacspeak-sigbegone sigbegone emacspeak-custom
cus-edit cus-start smtpmail sendmail mail-utils emacspeak-mspools
mspools bbdb-vm vm-mime vm-folder vm-summary vm-motion vm-undo
vm-misc bbdb-snarf mail-extr rfc822 bbdb-hooks mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums bbdb-autoloads bbdb-com mailabbrev
emacspeak-bbdb bbdb timezone vm-pine vm-macro vm-message
vm-autoloads vm-vars vm-version my-functions completion dired-aux
dired-x emacspeak-dired emacspeak-desktop desktop dired
emacspeak-aumix emacspeak-setup emacspeak-dbus nm dbus xml
emacspeak-webspace emacspeak-webutils url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source eieio gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars mailcap gweb greader browse-url g-auth
gfeeds g-utils json derived emacspeak-alsaplayer emacspeak-amark
emacspeak-advice vc shell pcomplete comint ring
emacspeak-ansi-color ansi-color emacspeak-replace
emacspeak-redefine emacspeak-personality emacspeak
emacspeak-widget wid-edit emacspeak-facemenu byte-opt warnings
bytecomp byte-compile cconv emacspeak-fix-interactive
emacspeak-buff-menu g-cus-load cus-load emacspeak-sounds
emacspeak-preamble emacspeak-keymap emacspeak-speak time-date
emacspeak-pronounce thingatpt dtk-speak flite-voices dtk-interp
voice-setup dectalk-voices espeak-voices mac-voices
multispeech-voices outloud-voices dtk-unicode descr-text
help-mode easymenu dtk-css-speech acss-structure
emacspeak-load-path advice help-fns vc-git vc-dispatcher vc-svn
cl-macs gv cl nadvice cl-lib tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Best Regards,
--raman