Subject: Re: removing @acronym from manual

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 18:39:39 +0200

> Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 17:33:13 GMT
> From: [email-masked] (Karl Berry)
> 
> Didn't we conclude it was better to avoid @acronym and the consequent
> ugly rendering in browsers?  (Except in cases where it's actually
> useful, which is never in the coreutils manual.)
> 
> I'm sure we did so for @sc.  Unfortunately I cannot separate patches for
> @sc and @acronym since they are often used in the same text.

I was led to this bug report from

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2013-01/msg00058.html.

Could you please re-iterate why @sc and @acronym should be avoided, or
point to a discussion where those reasons are spelled out?  At least
the latest Texinfo documentation (from the 4.13.93 pretest) says
nothing about that; if avoiding these is an official GNU guideline,
IMO the Texinfo manual should mention that, and tell why.

E.g., why @sc{gnu} or @sc{posix} or @acronym{ASCII} are bad?

TIA