Subject: bug#13336: [External] : Re: bug#13336: `next-frame' should not choose the *Backtrace* frame while debugging

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 09:53:43 +0200

>> Why can't you add the `no-other-frame' parameter to that common list for
 >> the *Backtrace* buffer alone?
 >
 > Dunno what you mean.  (But it sounds like duplicating
 > the common list, and adding something to the copy.)

Maintain a 'basic-alist' of frame parameters and for the *Backtrace*
buffer use

(cons (cons 'no-other-frame t) basic-alist)

as list of frame parameters.

 > Why doesn't its doc give users a heads-up in this
 > (unspecified) regard, if it requires special
 > knowledge or handling?

I don't know but there is one thing I know for sure: Setting up a frame
and using `after-make-frame-functions' to add or a change a parameter is
madness.  Creating a frame mostly means to process frame parameters in a
carefully laid out fashion.  If, at the end of that, a user decides that
some additional parameter should be processed, this may confuse the hell
out of that process.  Never do that - specify all parameters you need at
the time you ask Emacs to create the frame.

 >> And you cannot augment that alist by additional elements for specific
 >> buffers?
 >
 > Dunno what you mean.  It's just like
 > `special-display-frame-alist' - an alist of frame
 > parameters.  It applies to all special-display
 > buffers.

See above.

 > `display-buffer-alist' terrifies me. ;-)

It's just as terrific as `special-display-regexps'.

martin