Subject: 24.3.50; enhancement request: `C-0 M-n' reverses order of defaults

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 20:55:10 -0800

This is an enhancement request.
 
Not long ago we introduced the possibility of having more than one
default value for minibuffer input.  Users can cycle among these using
`M-n' (when the end of the history is reached, including before using
`M-p').
 
These default values are sometimes ordered in a way that we think might
be useful (more useful values closer to the last input, i.e., to the end
of the past inputs).  Sometimes there is no special order.
 
In any case, today a user must cycle `M-n' repeatedly to get to a
default value that is far from the last input.  S?he can use a prefix
argument to skip over some values.
 
A zero prefix arg has no effect whatsoever: no feedback, nada.
 
The enhancement would be to let a zero prefix arg (e.g. `C-0') reverse
the list of available default values and then go to the first one
(previously the last one).  So you could cycle among the defaults in the
opposite order.
 
If there are 10 default values, the first `C-0 M-n' would move to the
10th value, which would become the 1st value.  The 9th would become the
2nd, and so on.  So the next `M-n' would move to what was previously
the 9th etc.
 
In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-12-31 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 111388 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -IC:/Devel/emacs/build/include --ldflags -LC:/Devel/emacs/build/lib'