Subject: bug#13334: 24.3.50; enhancement request: `C-0 M-n' reverses order of defaults

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 12:35:32 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> > A slightly different approach would be to make it just go to the end of
> > the history, without changing the order.  Then you could just use M-p to
> > go backwards.  I guess that would not be hard to do (see
> > `goto-history-element').
>
> Agreed.  That is about as good.  (But again, it's not about the input
> _history_.  It's about a set of possible default values.)

I had realized that.

> The only reason what I suggested might be considered slightly better
> is that `C-p' is generally thought of as accessing the input history
> (see the above confusion), not the defaults.
>
> That's the case at the outset, but of course once you've used one of
> `C-n' or `C-p' the other just reverses within the list (inputs or
> defaults) that you started cycling, until you get back to the starting
> point (origin, dividing the two lists).

(Do you mean M-n, M-p?)

Internally it's just one list AFAIK (with the starting point somewhere
in the middle after defaults have been added, so to say).  M-n and M-p
move through the complete list without distinguishing in which "part" we
are - history or defaults.  So I don't think just going to the end of
the defaults would be confusing.

Michael.