Subject: bug#13333: 24.3.50; (emacs) `Minibuffer History'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 16:57:41 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 6 May 2022 09:40:59 -0400
> 
> > Sure, makes sense.  Could you come up with a patch for this?
> 
> I'm sorry no, I don't build my own emacs, don't have the source, 
> and haven't signed copyright over.  It should just be a couple
> of @cindex calls in mini.texi
> 
> @cindex future history
> @cindex minibuffer suggestions

That's not how good index entries are (or should be) added.  One needs
to think of subjects potential readers will have in mind when they are
looking for the indexed text.  With this in mind, I wonder who would
think about "minibuffer suggestions" in conjunction with this
material?  I wouldn't, because "minibuffer suggestions" tells nothing
to me about what it alludes to.  "Suggestions" is not a good word to
describe this feature.

As for "future history", if we want it, it should _replace_ the
existing index entry, because they both lead to almost the same text,
and it is not useful to have several index entries that begin with the
same text and lead to the same page of the manual.