Subject: Re: bug#13333: 24.3.50; (emacs) `Minibuffer History'

From: Howard Melman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 12:45:02 -0400

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I remember when I learned the concept of "future history" and its key
>> binding, it was a "wow!" effect.  Because of that it's possibly the
>> only key binding I immediately remembered and never forgot.  But
>> perhaps that's just me.
>
> I think the conclusion here is that there's no great enthusiasm for
> changing the terminology here (and we've been using the term "future
> history" slightly more actively in the last year), so I'm closing this
> bug report.

I think the emacs manual could be improved here.

"future history" should be in the index (currently only
"future history for file names" is) pointing to the
Minibuffer History node where it is defined.

Also perhaps "minibuffer suggestions", "minibuffer input
suggestions" or some equivalents could be indexed to point
to the same place to aid in people learning about this still
little-known "wow!" feature.

-- 

Howard