Subject: Re: bug#13333: 24.3.50; (emacs) `Minibuffer History'

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 12:25:08 +0000

>> The idea of replacing DEFAULT with (DEFAULT . SUGGESTIONS) is also not 
>> really optimal IMO.
>
> I think the suggestion was replacing DEFAULTS with (DEFAULT . 
> SUGGESTIONS), though...
>

Yes, sorry, that was a typo, I meant "replacing DEFAULTS with (DEFAULT . 
SUGGESTIONS).

>> The problem is that DEFAULT would not only be the value that is used 
>> when the user hits RET with an empty input, it is also the first value 
>> inserted when hitting M-n, that is, it is also the first SUGGESTION.
>
> I guess you could look at it that way...  but I'd say that the first 
> `M-n' gives you the default, and then you get the suggestions.
>

Isn't the default already part of the suggestions?  Unless I'm missing 
something, it's a suggested default.  The current distinction between 
(past) "history" and "future history", where the first item of the future 
history is the default, and in which you can freely navigate back and 
forth with M-p and M-n is, much clearer IMO than a distinction between 
three kinds of items, (past) "history", default and suggestions.  In fact, 
I don't understand what problem this would solve.

I remember when I learned the concept of "future history" and its key 
binding, it was a "wow!" effect.  Because of that it's possibly the only 
key binding I immediately remembered and never forgot.  But perhaps that's 
just me.