Subject: bug#13333: 24.3.50; (emacs) `Minibuffer History'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 13:05:21 +0200

Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

> The idea of replacing DEFAULT with (DEFAULT . SUGGESTIONS) is also not
> really optimal IMO.

I think the suggestion was replacing DEFAULTS with (DEFAULT . SUGGESTIONS),
though...

> The problem is that DEFAULT would not only be the
> value that is used when the user hits RET with an empty input, it is
> also the first value inserted when hitting M-n, that is, it is also
> the first SUGGESTION.

I guess you could look at it that way...  but I'd say that the first
`M-n' gives you the default, and then you get the suggestions.

> What I would suggest instead is to replace DEFAULTS with
> FUTURE-HISTORY, with an explanation that the first element of
> FUTURE-HISTORY is used when the user hist RET with an empty input.

Hm...  I dunno...  

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no