Subject: bug#1333 closed by Yavor Doganov <[email-masked]> (Finally fixed)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:50:05 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs,ns package:

#1333: 23.0; Emacs.app does not load ~/.emacs

It has been closed by Yavor Doganov <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Yavor Doganov <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1333: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1333
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Finally fixed
From: Yavor Doganov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 23:42:19 +0300

This bug was fixed now that the GNUstep port "CAN_DUMP"; Emacs loads
the init file as well as all the environment variables.
>From [email-masked] Wed Nov 12 06:54:38 2008
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:54:29 +0200
From: Yavor Doganov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.0; Emacs.app does not load ~/.emacs

Package: emacs,ns

On GNUstep, Emacs.app does not load the user init file.

Probably related, but it also doesn't inherit the environment when run
from a terminal; the value of process-environment right after startup
is "TERM=dumb".  Doing M-x ns-grabenv doesn't help much:

process-environment's value is 
("_=/usr/bin/printenv" "SHLVL=1" "PWD=/home/yavor/src/emacs/src" "TERM=dumb")

(This is when started with -nw, the only difference otherwise is the
confusing "DISPLAY=keel.southway-varna.com".)

`printenv | wc -l' returns 29.

If Emacs was built in a chroot and installed in a system-wide
location, e.g. /usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Applications, then M-x gnus
tries to create /News at the root of the filesystem.  Many commands do
not work, and Emacs becomes useful only after manually setting some
variables with M-x setenv and loading .emacs.

(P.S.: The `23.0;' in the subject line is the figure exactly as
generated by M-x report-emacs-bug.)

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, NS gnustep-gui-0.14.0)
 of 2008-11-12 on keel.southway-varna.com
Windowing system distributor `GNU', version 103.110.117.115.116.101.112.45.103.117.105.45.48.46.49.52.46.48
configured using `configure  '--with-ns' '--disable-ns-self-contained' '--prefix=/home/yavor/tmp''