Subject: bug#1333: 23.0; Emacs.app does not load ~/.emacs

From: Adrian Robert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 00:03:48 +0200

On Mar 6, 2009, at 11:19 PM, Yavor Doganov wrote:

> In general, I think that 99% of the problems for the GNUstep port are
> due to CANNOT_DUMP.  Is there any other platform/system/whatever where
> CANNOT_DUMP works (i.e. where it leads to an usable Emacs)?  My
> general feeling is that this is the first port that is supposed to be
> used in production, and the CANNOT_DUMP limitations simply cannot
> provide that.

As I posted earlier on emacs-devel, fixing CANNOT_DUMP might be as  
simple as adding similar zone alloc commands to unexelf.c as in  
unexmacosx.c.  (I wish I'd noticed this when I was working on  
GNUstep.)  It might be possible to use unexnext as a simpler model  
(kept around until shortly after the merge).  I haven't tried it  
myself due to no longer having access to a GNUstep compile  
environment and already having my hands full with OS X bugs.  But if  
you or someone else wants to take a crack, I can provide assistance  
over email.

I agree with you about the low number of users.  I think if Gurkan  
can (heroically) manage get the package in to Debian it will expand  
the user base, and hopefully at least slightly improve the number  
actually rolling up their sleeves and trying to fix things.

-Adrian