Subject: bug#13329: 24.2 post patch for #9521; Rmail forward does not correctly handle MIME messages containing "From " lines

From: Mark Lillibridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 14:04:58 -0700

Mark Lillibridge <[email-masked]> writes:

>      I was using Emacs Rmail, but not the pure emacs 28.1 -q because I
>  need to change settings to send email.  Let me see if I can try a purer
>  reenactment.

    Ok, I sent myself a message with last line "From nothing" (pure text
body); fetchmail produced the attached incoming_sample.gz file, which
Rmail 'g' added to an empty Rmail file to produce the attached
RMAIL.sample.gz.  I did this using as pure an Rmail set up as I can with
emacs 28.1.  My sending/receiving goes through MIT email forwarding and
uses Gmail as a receiving service.

   Both of these files have the proper mbox quoting, with a > before the
>From in the body.  If I switch to emacs 28.1 -q and open that Rmail
file, I see the extra > and pressing 'f' includes it in the forwarded
message.  This shows both bugs (13328 and 13329).

   See if you can open RMAIL.sample and reproduce the bugs on your end.
If so, something must differ between our email sending/receiving before
rmail processes.  If you can't reproduce the bugs given the Rmail file,
I'm very confused.

- Mark