Subject: Re: bug#13329: 24.2 post patch for #9521; Rmail forward does not correctly handle MIME messages containing "From " lines

From: Mark Lillibridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 13:34:35 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>  > From: Mark Lillibridge <[email-masked]>
>  > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
>  > Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 11:25:55 -0700
>  > 
>  > 
>  >     If you don't want to start with an existing mbox, send a message to
>  > yourself containing a line like "From nothing" in the body.  You will
>  > see that a > incorrectly shows up in the Rmail display due to bug
>  > #13328.
>  
>  I just did, and I don't see the bug (in Emacs 28.2).  The mbox file I
>  get does include a line that begins with ">From", but in the message
>  buffer presented by Rmail to me I see just "From", with the ">"
>  removed.
>  
>  I see the same in Emacs 28.1, so I'm unsure why you see the problem
>  there.  Maybe the reproduction recipe above is too simple, and
>  something else is missing to reproduce the problem?

    Hmm.  What mailer did you used to send the message?  Maybe it wasn't
sending a MIME message?  We know that #13328 doesn't show the extra >
for non-MIME messages.

    I was using Emacs Rmail, but not the pure emacs 28.1 -q because I
need to change settings to send email.  Let me see if I can try a purer
reenactment.

    Can you check the mbox I sent to see if you see extra >s for the
last 2 messages there?  Can you send me the pieces of your mbox with the
2 test messages you sent (use binary attachment to avoid corruption)?

    Clearly, one of our two set ups is different.  :-(

- Mark