Subject: bug#13328: 24.2; Rmail does not properly decode MIME messages containing "From " lines or save such attachments correctly

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2020 20:30:08 +0100

Mark Lillibridge <[email-masked]> writes:

> |>From level 1
> |>>From level 2
> |>>>From level 3
> |
>
> The From lines should look identical to the first message.

(This bug report unfortunately got no response at the time.)

Thanks for the easy recipe to reproduce this behaviour.

The issue is: In non-MIME messages, rmail strips one level of ">" from
all lines that start with ">+From ".  In MIME messages, it doesn't do
that.

I think the latter behaviour sounds correct, though.  It's common for
mailers to prepend a ">" to lines that start with "From " -- but usually
only when that actually matches an mbox delimiter, which "From level 1"
does not.

Furthermore, it's really uncommon for anything to prepend a ">" when the
line starts with ">From ".

So I think the bug here is that it does the stripping at all in these
cases.

Opinions?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no