Subject: bug#13328: 24.2; Rmail does not properly decode MIME messages containing "From " lines or save such attachments correctly

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 14:34:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 15:47:03 +0100
>> 
>> Other mailers only add a ">" to the front of lines that match mbox
>> separators.  ">From" does not match any mbox separator, so there's no
>> accumulation.
>
> But Rmail uses "^From:?" as the regexp that identifies the beginning
> of another message in an mbox file, so it must quote other "From"s to
> avoid catastrophic failures later.  Or am I missing something?

If rmail uses that as the regexp, then I guess rmail will have to
continue quoting all "From:?" lines.  But that's a pretty odd regexp to
use to split an mbox file -- first of all, "^From:" is not an mbox
separator at all, and neither is "Fromage".

The normal way to split an mbox is to use something like
`message-unix-mail-delimiter'.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no