Subject: bug#13319: 24.2.91; emacsclient doesn't find server with nonstandard name

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 17:56:19 +0200

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > Obviously this is not fulfilled here.  And it is no useful behavior.  If
>> > only one server is running (and the socket is located under the
>> > canonical path), emacsclient should find and use it.
>>
>> This is questionable.  How does it know that a random socket is a emacs
>> server socket?
>
> Here on Debian, it looks under /tmp/emacs$UID.  Can there be any other
> socket?

This was eight years ago, and some things have changed in this area
(like the location of the server socket), but the issue still remains, I
think?  That is, the client won't look around for a socket with a
non-standard name.

But I tend to think that this is actually the correct behaviour --
having emacsclient guess at what socket name to use sounds a bit too
DWIM to me:  I may deliberately have set up a server to do one very
specific thing under a non-standard name, and I would not want any
random emacsclient invocation to use that special server just because it
can't find the standard socket.  (Which I may just have forgotten to
start the server for.)

So I think this behaves as it should.  Anybody else got another opinion?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no