Subject: bug#13312: 24.3.50; delete selection mode not killing on overwrite

From: Tony Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 10:58:06 +1100

recipe:

Emacs -Q

(delete-selection-mode)

Selected text gets deleted on overwriting, rather than killed.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2012-12-30 on bob.porkrind.org
Bzr revision: 111377 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1187
Configured using:
 `configure --host=x86_64-apple-darwin --build=i686-apple-darwin
 --with-ns'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-h C-a <down> <up> M-x d e l e t <tab> s e l <tab> 
<return> C-x b f o o <return> K i l l SPC m e <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <down> <return> 
<return> <return> <return> C-y M-x k i l l <tab> r 
i n <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
c l e a <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
C-g <down> <return> <return> <return> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <S-down> <S-left> o v e r 
w r i t e <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
C-y M-y M-y <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Delete-Selection mode enabled

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-start cus-load delsel time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)