Subject: Re: bug#13308: 24.2.91; Crash when minimizing the window

From: "Fabrice Niessen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:09:30 +0100

Eli,

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: "Fabrice Niessen" <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 22:03:57 +0100
>> 
>>> If you type "gdb emacs.exe", does GDB say it read symbols, or does it
>>> say there are no symbols?
>> 
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> $ gdb emacs.exe
>> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.5.50.20120815-cvs (cygwin-special)
>> Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
>> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
>> and "show warranty" for details.
>> This GDB was configured as "i686-cygwin".
>> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
>> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
>> Reading symbols from /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Emacs-24.2.90/bin/emacs.exe...done.
>> (gdb) quit
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>> 
>> Aie, it's reading symbols from another Emacs instance (24.2.90, the first in
>> PATH), not the one I'm really launching (24.2.91, from a Windows shortcut).
>> 
>> I really would like to have a solution for my PATH to reflect whichever
>> shortcut I clicked on. I'll need to write a small script, instead of making a
>> direct link to emacs.exe. Or would there be a more straitforward solution?
>
> A more straitforward solution is to use a full absolute file name of
> the Emacs executable, or chdir to its directory and type "gdb ./emacs.exe".

You mean, then, "gdb ./emacs.exe -p <PID>" from Emacs-24.2.91\bin directory?

BTW, the problem of having a sync'ed PATH (I mean: reflecting which Emacs
shortcut I clicked onto, hence which version) can be important as well for
emacsclient communications (where using emacsclient v23 against a v24 server
could be inappropriate).

But my above idea (script which updates the value of PATH) won't work as the
PATH has to be correct system-wide, _not only for processes launched from
within Emacs_:

- If I click onto Emacs 24.2.91 shortcut, I'd need to have the C:\Program
  Files\Emacs-24.2.91\ directory first in the global PATH (user or system).

- If I click onto Emacs 23.3 (or whichever other version) shortcut, I'd need
  to have the corresponding directory first in the PATH.

... so that Bash processes use the right tool upon invocation (of emacsclient,
for example).

But I don't see any obvious solution for this.

Best regards,
Fabrice