Subject: bug#13303: 24.2.91; gdb under emacs broken for break commands

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 19:19:33 +0200

> From: Stephen Leake <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:28:16 -0500
> 
> > I don't understand: you are supposed to end the breakpoint commands by
> > typing just "end" at the "> " prompt.  
> 
> Yes, that is what I was expecting.
> 
> > It works for me with GDB 7.3 and Emacs 24.2.91 on GNU/Linux; 
> 
> Sigh. I hate bugs that behave differently on different machines.
> 
> My GNU/Linux is Debian Testing; what are you using?

It's Trisquel, the machine is fencepost.gnu.org.  I think this is some
variety of Ubuntu, but I don't know enough about genealogy of Linux
distributions to tell.  In any case, GDB 7.3 on that system was built
by me, it's not something that came with the OS.

> What Windows are you using? I'm on Windows 7; I could try on Windows XP.

It's XP SP3.  Do you mean you don't get "(gdb)" after typing "end" on
Windows as well?

> Any suggestions for debugging this further?

Perhaps turn on gdb-enable-debug, and see what you get in the
gdb-debug-log variable.

> I've confirmed that 'end' works as expected when running gdb from a bash
> shell not under emacs.
> 
> 'end' also works when running gdb in a bash shell under emacs. I guess
> that's a mostly functional workaround.
> 
> 'end' works with Emacs 23, running gdb with --annotate=3; it seems
> to be the switch to -i=mi that causes the problem for me.

What if you run GDB from the shell, but using the -i=mi switch, and
set interactive-mode off? do you see the problem then?

> I did confirm that Emacs 24 no longer supports --annotate=3.

It does, if you invoke "M-x gud-gdb RET".  Another work-around, I
guess.  But I still would like to find out why it doesn't work for you
with -i=mi?