Subject: bug#13303: 24.2.91; gdb under emacs broken for break commands

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:55:56 +0200

> From: Stephen Leake <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 07:31:07 -0500
> 
> > Anyway, the annoyance with no "> " prompt on Posix hosts is a known
> > problem with GDB versions older than 7.5; see bug#11279.  You can work
> > around it by typing this command at the first GDB prompt:
> >
> >   (gdb) set interactive-mode off
> >
> > GDB 7.5 fixed that problem, so upgrading your GDB will remove the need
> > to use the above work-around.
> 
> That does restore the "> " prompt, but it also restores EOF behavior (it
> now quits the debugger). 

I don't understand: you are supposed to end the breakpoint commands by
typing just "end" at the "> " prompt.  It works for me with GDB 7.3
and Emacs 24.2.91 on GNU/Linux; if it doesn't work for you, please
tell what happens when you type "end" to end the breakpoint commands.
So what happens when sending EOF is not really relevant here, IMO.
(That command only works on GNU/Linux at the top level, not during
specification of breakpoint commands.)

> So the core problem remains: there is no way to terminate prompting
> for new command lines, without quiting the debugger.

See above: "end" works for me.