Subject: bug#13289: closed (Re: bug#13289: 24.2; bookmark didn't save when using emacsclient)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 08:52:03 +0000

Your bug report

#13289: bookmarks not saved if kill Emacs from command-line

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13289: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13289
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13289: 24.2; bookmark didn't save when using emacsclient
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Cc: Xue Fuqiao <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 16:50:51 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> writes:

> The reason is the following.  The above call to `pp' contains a call to
> `scan-lists' which is enclosed in `ignore-errors'.  Normally, the error
> is caught and `pp' goes on to do its job.  However, because the hook is
> being run while Emacs is in a sigterm handler waiting to die (so that
> waiting_for_input is true), the Fsignal aborts Emacs instead of
> signalling a Lisp error:

The straightforward fix---setting waiting_for_input to 0 in
Fkill_emacs---seems to work fine, so I went ahead and committed it to
trunk.

Subject: 24.2; bookmark didn't save when using emacsclient
From: Xue Fuqiao <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:16:15 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

--text follows this line--
I started emacs using `emacsclient -c -a ""', and use `C-x r m' to
set a bookmark.  Then I used C-x C-c to exit emacs and used `killall
emacs' to kill the emacs process.  After that, I started emacs again
using `emacsclient -c -a ""', and pressed `C-x r b', but Emacs said that
the bookmark didn't exist.

Everything is OK when using `emacs' to start Emacs.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.13)
 of 2012-11-23 on Emacs
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11300000
Configured using:
 `configure '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--with-wide-int''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  global-ede-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x r b <tab> <return> d s e m a c s <return> m e m 
a c s <return> s b u g <return> s <return> <return> 
SPC C-h C-p C-s b o o k m a r k C-s C-s C-g C-g q C-x 
b <return> <tab> <tab> C-a SPC C-z C-z C-p C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f <menu> f f 
a p <return> <return> SPC C-z SPC SPC M-v SPC SPC C-z 
SPC SPC <menu> r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <re
turn>

Recent messages:
Starting Emacs daemon.
Restarting server
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0
OVERVIEW [2 times]
Composing main Info directory...done
OVERVIEW
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
Entering debugger...
Quit
Back to top level.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils browse-url url-handlers
ffap help-mode debug misearch multi-isearch goto-addr thingatpt view
jka-compr info bookmark pp ede/linux ede/emacs ede/cpp-root flyspell
ispell eldoc org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc
org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks find-func
org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org
ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src
ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline
outline easy-mmode format-spec disp-table saveplace uniquify whitespace
hl-line ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/base ede/auto ede/source
eieio-base eieio-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe eieio-custom
wid-edit cedet time battery delsel cus-start cus-load cal-china lunar
solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs xfq-backup
xfq-ido ido xfq-org xfq-abbrev xfq-minor-modes glasses savehist paren
xfq-debug xfq-accelerate warnings accelerate advice help-fns
advice-preload xfq-elisp xfq-server server xfq-require elp hideshow
easymenu url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc gnus-util time-date password-cache
url-vars mm-util mail-prsvr mailcap dired regexp-opt ediff-merg
ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff
bmi cl xfq-packages package tabulated-list tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XueFuqiao