Subject: bug#13284: 24.3.50; when launched with -Q the frame is as wide as the scrollbar

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 15:32:33 +0100

Hello!

This behaviour seems to be related to the default font used, Lucida  
Sans Typewriter from Java. When I launch GNU Emacs as

	nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q -fn "FreeMono"

the frame opens OK with 80 column or such. (The same behaviour is  
also shown by GNU Emacs 24.2.50. The released GNU Emacs 24.2 does not  
show this behaviour, but it claims:

	*** Warning: font in family 'LucidaSans-Typewriter' not found [644  
times]
	Error during redisplay: (error "Variable binding depth exceeds max- 
specpdl-size")
	select-frame: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
	*** Warning: font in family 'LucidaSans-Typewriter' not found
)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, NS apple- 
appkit-824.48)
  of 2012-12-27 on
Bzr revision: 111341  
[email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.824
Configured using:
  `configure '--without-pop' '--without-sound' '--with-ns'
  '--disable-ns-self-contained' '--x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib'
  '--x-includes=/usr/X11/include'
  '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
  Support/Emacs/calendar24:/Library/Application Support/Emacs'  
'CFLAGS=-g
  -ggdb3 -H -pipe -fPIC -fno-common -O0 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec
  -faltivec -mabi=altivec -malign-natural' 'CC=gcc-apple-4.2'
  'CXX=g++-apple-4.2' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include' 'LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib -v
  -Wl,-v -Wl,-bind_at_load -Wl,-t'
  'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Mit evolutionären Grüßen

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
           °\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____