Subject: bug#13240: 24.3.50; emacs slows down if left idle

From: raman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:13:16 -0800

Left  emacs running overnight, it's unusable this morning. Here's
a report from memory-usage 

Garbage collection stats:
((conses 8 16033027 1423975) (symbols 24 126904 127) (miscs 20 31137 7040) (strings 16 372092 44779) (string-bytes 1 11040081) (vectors 8 100105) (vector-slots 4 1374568 23284) (floats 8 1344 945) (intervals 28 79401 9601) (buffers 508 59) (heap 1024 205026 5071))

 =>	 122MB (+ 10.9MB dead) in conses
	2.90MB (+ 2.98kB dead) in symbols
	 608kB (+  138kB dead) in miscs
	5.68MB (+  700kB dead) in strings
	10.5MB in string-bytes
	 782kB in vectors
	5.24MB (+ 91.0kB dead) in vector-slots
	10.5kB (+ 7.38kB dead) in floats
	2.12MB (+  263kB dead) in intervals
	29.3kB in buffers
	 200MB (+ 4.95MB dead) in heap

Total in lisp objects:  367MB (live  350MB, dead 17.0MB)

Buffer ralloc memory usage:
51 buffers
3.45MB total (22.5kB in gaps)
      Size	Gap	Name

   1331200	1503	 *tar-data  *http melpa.milkbox.net:80*-501722*
   1117369	2000	 *Unicode Data*
    452187	2000	.bbdb
    182179	1237	Index of /mobi-pocket/library/
    178039	1526	*shell*
    133673	340	*Packages*
     58524	2000	 *http melpa.milkbox.net:80*
     46739	2000	*Messages*
     15077	931	opds catalog generate - Google Search
     14491	1449	$sample OPDS catalog - Google Search
     14163	60	$generate opds catalog - Google Search
     13383	822	Index of /mobi-pocket/library/Agatha%20Christie/
      8669	867	internetarchive/bookserver Â· GitHub
      6940	694	*-jabber-roster-*
      4148	347	*Warnings*
      3944	106	How to add my own books catalog Â· geometer/FBReaderJ Wiki Â· GitHub
      2045	2002	 *g scratch*
      2034	203	full-shannara-collection
      1857	166	 *url-file*
      1811	181	 *http www.wunderground.com:80*
      1128	112	.hosts
       973	97	Index of /
       786	1509	*Buffer Details*
       726	72	Index of /mobi-pocket/
       678	67	 *http melpa.milkbox.net:80*-501722
       562	56	*Calendar*
       552	55	*-jabber-chat-Aarthi Raman-*
       492	21	1-shell
       468	46	Index of /mobi-pocket/library/Agatha%20Christie/4_50%20From%20Paddington%20%28190%29/
       406	40	.diary
       328	32	 *completion-save-buffer*
       191	20	*scratch*
       188	20	*ESS*
       178	20	 *amixer*
       152	20	 *Python Internal [b594afc9c748b72332ed2317545e63fa]*
        83	20	 *urlparse-temp*
        67	20	 *autoload*
        33	20	 *extract address components*
        24	20	 *canonical address*
        21	20	 *Custom-Work*
        14	20	 *code-conversion-work*
         7	20	 *dtk-scratch-buffer* 
         2	20	 *Echo Area 0*
         2	18	 *mspools-scratch*
         0	20	 *Minibuf-1*
         0	20	 *vm-nonexistent-summary*
         0	20	*Egg:Select Action*
         0	20	 *Minibuf-0*
         0	20	 *Echo Area 1*
         0	20	*Shell Command Output*
         0	20	 *-jabber-process-*

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.1)
 of 2012-12-19 on labrador
System Description:	Ubuntu 9.04

Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr/local''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  helm-dired-mode: Enable helm completion in Dired functions.
Bindings affected are C, R, S, H.
This is deprecated for Emacs24+ users, use `helm-mode' instead.
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-summary-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  display-time-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-voice-lock-mode: t
  voice-lock-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
ESC [ [ D C-x @ h s c d RET C-e ( RET C-e u r s TAB 
RET RET C-e m f q C-x @ h m C-e m , ESC < C-n C-n C-n 
C-p d n d n d q C-e x m ESC m C-n SPC N , N , F RET 
A h SPC ESC m C-e C-e SPC t h a t ' s SPC b e c a u 
s e SPC v o i c e SPC l o c k SPC w a s SPC n e v e 
r SPC c o r r e c l t y SPC SPC i m p l e m e n t e 
d SPC f o r SPC e s p e a k C-e C-s C-e m ESC m C-e 
m ESC m ESC < C-e m ESC m ESC < C-s e s p ESC m ESC 
C-c C-c C-e m C-e m ESC [ [ C C-e m ESC c q C-e m ESC 
[ [ D n C-e m ESC m C-n q C-x @ h s c d RET C-e t C-e 
m C-e m ESC x m e m o r TAB RET C-e m ESC < C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-x h C-x r s C-e m ESC > C-e a C-x 
C-g C-g ESC x r e p o r t SPC b u TAB e TAB RET

Recent messages:
Writing index file... done
/home/raman/Mail/lists/emacspeak removed
Save `reply to tyler_tysdomain.com, ...' as draft in folder `postponed'? (y or n)  n
`reply to tyler_tysdomain.com, ...' is gone forever!
Error during redisplay: (jit-lock-function 468) signaled (quit)
~ 
Marked buffer  containing 73 lines
Copied 73 lines to register 
Quit
ad-Advice-signal: End of buffer [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/site-lisp/gm/g-utils hides /home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/g-client/g-utils
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/site-lisp/vm/lisp/tapestry hides /home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/tapestry
/home/raman/emacs/lisp/emacspeak/lisp/tetris hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/lisp/play/tetris

Features:
(shadow emacsbug memory-usage emacspeak-supercite supercite regi
mailalias vm-reply emacspeak-hide emacspeak-url-template amixer
semantic/db-file data-debug cedet-files semantic/wisent/python
semantic/decorate/include semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref
semantic/decorate/mode semantic/decorate pulse semantic/dep
semantic/wisent/python-wy semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
bug-reference goto-addr vm-sort vm-virtual vm-delete tapestry
vm-rfaddons vm-menu vm-window vm-toolbar vm-mouse vm-page
vm-minibuf emacspeak-vm vm rect emacspeak-websearch
emacspeak-w3search tramp-cache w3-style w3-imenu w3-speak-table
w3-structure w3-hot mm-archive url-file url-dired w3-toolbar
w3-speak w3-forms w3-emacs w3-props emacspeak-sh-script sh-script
nxml-uchnm emacspeak-nxml rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc
xmltok misearch multi-isearch emacspeak-gnus gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group
gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range emacspeak-message message mml mml-sec gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader inf-lisp clojure-mode
flymake color-theme bookmark+ bookmark+-key bookmark+-1
bookmark+-bmu bookmark+-lit bookmark+-mac dired+ dired-details
emacspeak-sql sql auto-complete-config python
ein-multilang-fontify ein-ac ein-connect ein-notebooklist rst
markdown-mode ein-dev ein-notebook ein-pytools ein-pager
ein-completer ein-subpackages ein-notification ein-scratchsheet
ein-worksheet ein-kill-ring ein-cell ein-output-area
ein-kernelinfo ein-kernel ein-query ein-events ein-websocket
websocket emacspeak-calc calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs ein-node
ein-log ein-core ein-utils ein ein-loaddefs auto-complete popup
auto-complete-autoloads popup-autoloads emms-volume-amixer locate
emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon emms-tag-editor emms-info-metaflac
emms-mark emms-last-played epc ctable concurrent deferred ess-dde
ess-omg-l paren ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme ess-menu ess-swv
ess-noweb essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a ess-arc-d
ess-vst-d ess-xls-d ess-sta-d ess-sta-l make-regexp ess-sp6-d
ess-sp5-d ess-sp3-d ess-julia ess-r-d ess-tracebug ess-roxy
ess-help reporter ess-developer ess-r-args ess-s-l ess-site
emacspeak-ess ess ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-custom executable
ess-inf ess-utils ess-bugs-l ess-compat ess-lsp-l pcase dotassoc
kv kv-autoloads octave-mod smie html-mode-expansions
expand-region-custom expand-region-core fold-dwim
emacspeak-hideshow hideshow gh-issues gh-gist header2
lib-requires w3m-bookmark helm-imenu helm-elisp helm-eval
helm-mode helm-files image-dired helm-buffers helm-elscreen
helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net
helm-plugin emacspeak-bookmark bookmark helm-locate helm-help
helm-match-plugin helm-grep helm-regexp helm-external helm-utils
helm emacspeak-generic generic emacspeak-js2 js2-mode
emacspeak-imenu imenu loadhist rx esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt
esh-ext esh-proc esh-groups emacspeak-eshell esh-arg eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util emacspeak-iswitchb iswitchb
emacspeak-view view gh-pulls gh-repos gh-oauth gh-api logito
gh-cache pcache gh-auth gh-common oauth hex-util hmac-sha1
plstore packed magithub crm emacspeak-magit magit-bisect
magit-key-mode magit log-edit pcvs-util emacspeak-add-log add-log
ert debug cc-langs emacspeak-c cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
scala-mode-feature scala-mode-ui scala-mode-fontlock
scala-mode-indent scala-mode-variables scala-mode-inf
scala-mode-navigation scala-mode-lib scala-mode-constants
emacspeak-speedbar speedbar sb-image dframe
scala-mode-feature-tags scratch rswitcher tree-widget
emacspeak-gud gud etags apropos emacspeak-arc arc-mode
archive-mode hyperspec emacspeak-tar tar-mode list-utils
list-utils-autoloads bindat grep emacspeak-compile compile
autoload network-stream url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth
pcmpl-unix jabber-bookmarks jabber-private emacspeak-wizards
emacspeak-eterm term ehelp emacspeak-texinfo texinfo
emacspeak-table-ui emacspeak-table emacspeak-find-dired
find-dired eldoc lisp-mnt t-mouse cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam
cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs gcal g-app mule-util cal-move
server w3-wget wget wget-sysdep emms-info-libtag emms-lastfm
emms-url emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-score
emms-player-xine emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics
emms-streams emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do emms-playlist-mode
emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple emms-source-playlist
emms-source-file emms-setup emacspeak-emms emms emms-compat
emacspeak-dictionary dictionary link connection emacspeak-reftex
reftex reftex-vars egg emacspeak-diff-mode diff-mode ffap
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util
emacspeak-ediff ediff-mult ediff-init ediff electric
Save-visited-files-autoloads anaphora-autoloads
android-mode-autoloads auctex-autoloads emacspeak-auctex tex-site
bash-completion-autoloads bm-autoloads bookmark+-autoloads
browse-kill-ring-autoloads browse-url-dwim-autoloads
buffer-utils-autoloads c-eldoc-autoloads cl-format-autoloads
cljdoc-autoloads clojure-project-mode-autoloads
clojurescript-mode-autoloads closure-lint-mode-autoloads
closure-template-html-mode-autoloads color-theme-autoloads
cppcheck-autoloads crontab-mode-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads
dart-mode-autoloads deft-autoloads dictionary-autoloads
dired+-autoloads dired-details+-autoloads dired-details-autoloads
dired-isearch-autoloads dired-single-autoloads dizzee-autoloads
doc-mode-autoloads dotassoc-autoloads durendal-autoloads
clojure-mode-autoloads ecb-snapshot-autoloads echo-pick-autoloads
edbi-autoloads egg-autoloads eimp-autoloads ein-autoloads
elisp-cache-autoloads elisp-slime-nav-autoloads emms-autoloads
epc-autoloads ctable-autoloads concurrent-autoloads
deferred-autoloads epoch-view-autoloads eshell-info-autoloads
emacspeak-info info ess-autoloads esxml-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads fakir-autoloads
find-file-in-project-autoloads find-file-in-repository-autoloads
find-things-fast-autoloads fold-dwim-org-autoloads
fold-dwim-autoloads gist-autoloads go-mode-autoloads
google-this-autoloads google-translate-autoloads gopher-autoloads
header2-autoloads heap-autoloads helm-autoloads
http-twiddle-autoloads ido-ubiquitous-autoloads iflipb-autoloads
igrep-autoloads inflections-autoloads ioccur-autoloads
isearch+-autoloads js-comint-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads
key-chord-autoloads kill-ring-search-autoloads
lib-requires-autoloads lmc-autoloads loccur-autoloads
macro-math-autoloads magit-gh-pulls-autoloads gh-autoloads
logito-autoloads magithub-autoloads magnet-autoloads
markchars-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads marmalade-autoloads
furl-autoloads maxframe-autoloads memory-usage-autoloads
minimap-autoloads mustache-mode-autoloads my-packages-autoloads
nav-autoloads oauth-autoloads oauth2-autoloads otp-autoloads
packed-autoloads magit-autoloads paredit-autoloads
pcache-autoloads perspective-autoloads project-autoloads
project-mode-autoloads levenshtein-autoloads
protobuf-mode-autoloads pylint-autoloads pysmell-autoloads
python-mode-autoloads quarter-plane-autoloads queue-autoloads
regex-tool-autoloads register-list-autoloads scala-mode-autoloads
scratch-autoloads session-autoloads shadchen-autoloads
shell-here-autoloads shell-switcher-autoloads edmacro
emacspeak-kmacro kmacro slime-repl-autoloads slime-autoloads
smex-autoloads ssh-config-mode-autoloads string-utils-autoloads
synonyms-autoloads tabkey2-autoloads tabula-rasa-mode-autoloads
texdrive-autoloads thumb-through-autoloads tidy-autoloads
unbound-autoloads vlf-autoloads watch-buffer-autoloads
wcheck-mode-autoloads websocket-autoloads wget-autoloads
wgrep-autoloads workspaces-autoloads wtf-autoloads
xml-gen-autoloads yagist-autoloads finder-inf package
emacs-startup uniquify semantic/idle semantic/format ezimage
semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt semantic/db-mode
semantic/db eieio-base saveplace midnight emacspeak-cedet
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet savehist emacspeak-ido
ido time autoinsert emacspeak-gm gm tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs emacspeak-twittering twittering-mode parse-time
epa epg epg-config ssl emacspeak-jabber jabber jabber-libnotify
jabber-awesome jabber-osd jabber-wmii jabber-xmessage
jabber-festival jabber-sawfish jabber-ratpoison jabber-screen
jabber-socks5 jabber-ft-server jabber-si-server jabber-ft-client
jabber-ft-common jabber-si-client jabber-si-common
jabber-feature-neg jabber-truncate jabber-time jabber-autoaway
jabber-vcard-avatars jabber-chatstates jabber-events jabber-vcard
jabber-avatar jabber-activity jabber-watch jabber-modeline
jabber-ahc-presence jabber-ahc jabber-version jabber-ourversion
jabber-muc-nick-completion hippie-exp jabber-browse jabber-search
jabber-register jabber-roster jabber-presence jabber-muc
jabber-muc-nick-coloring assoc hexrgb jabber-newdisco
jabber-widget jabber-disco jabber-chat jabber-history
jabber-chatbuffer jabber-alert jabber-iq jabber-core
jabber-console emacspeak-sgml-mode sgml-mode ewoc jabber-keymap
jabber-sasl sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain fsm
jabber-logon jabber-conn srv dns starttls tls jabber-xml
jabber-menu jabber-autoloads jabber-util emacspeak-erc
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat pp emacspeak-org org
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint
ob-keys org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
emacspeak-outline foldout noutline outline easy-mmode org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs
format-spec emacspeak-find-func find-func emacspeak-calendar
lunar solar cal-dst diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs emacspeak-tcl tcl emacspeak-folding folding
emacspeak-w3m w3m-form emacspeak-m-player w3m doc-view jka-compr
image-mode w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems w3m-ccl ccl
w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util w3-prepare w3 w3-menu
w3-emulate w3-auto w3-parse w3-fast-parse mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode emacspeak-w3 emacspeak-google emacspeak-we
emacspeak-xslt w3-display w3-mouse w3-imap url-handlers w3-widget
w3-vars w3-keymap w3-cus css font disp-table devices ange-ftp
w3-cfg w3-compat emacspeak-sigbegone sigbegone emacspeak-custom
cus-edit cus-start smtpmail sendmail mail-utils emacspeak-mspools
mspools bbdb-vm vm-mime vm-folder vm-summary vm-motion vm-undo
vm-misc bbdb-snarf mail-extr rfc822 bbdb-hooks mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums bbdb-autoloads bbdb-com mailabbrev
emacspeak-bbdb bbdb timezone vm-pine vm-macro vm-message
vm-autoloads vm-vars vm-version my-functions completion dired-aux
dired-x emacspeak-dired emacspeak-desktop desktop dired
emacspeak-aumix emacspeak-setup emacspeak-dbus nm dbus xml
emacspeak-webspace emacspeak-webutils url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source eieio gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars mailcap gweb greader browse-url g-auth
gfeeds g-utils json derived emacspeak-alsaplayer emacspeak-amark
emacspeak-advice vc shell pcomplete comint ring
emacspeak-ansi-color ansi-color emacspeak-replace
emacspeak-redefine emacspeak-personality emacspeak
emacspeak-widget wid-edit emacspeak-facemenu byte-opt warnings
bytecomp byte-compile cconv emacspeak-fix-interactive
emacspeak-buff-menu g-cus-load cus-load emacspeak-sounds
emacspeak-preamble emacspeak-keymap emacspeak-speak time-date
emacspeak-pronounce thingatpt dtk-speak flite-voices dtk-interp
voice-setup dectalk-voices espeak-voices mac-voices
multispeech-voices outloud-voices dtk-unicode descr-text
help-mode easymenu dtk-css-speech acss-structure
emacspeak-load-path advice help-fns vc-git vc-dispatcher vc-svn
cl-macs gv cl nadvice cl-lib tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Best Regards,
--raman