Subject: Re: bug#13228: Request for highlighting back-quote/quote pair notation.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 09:47:08 +0200

Oleksandr Gavenko <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>From "info texinfo":
>
>> 14.2 Inserting Quote Characters
>> ===============================
>
>> As explained in the early section on general Texinfo input conventions
>> (*note Conventions::), Texinfo source files use the ASCII character ``'
>> (96 decimal) to produce a left quote (`), and ASCII `'' (39 decimal) to
>> produce a right quote (').  Doubling these input characters (```' and
>> `''') produces double quotes (" and ").  These are the conventions used
>> by TeX.
>
> So `' quoting style is common for info files. I checked it was used for
> function selection in libc and readline info files. Also it was used in GNU
> Make, R, Autotool and other manuals.
>
> So having highlighting for `' in info mode is good thing for Emacs user
> (compare with emacs-lisp-mode, where it was highlighted).

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got little response at
the time.)

I'm not sure I quite understand the request here.  Is it to highlight
`foo' in .texinfo files, or in `Info-mode'?  If it's the latter, I think
we've mostly moved to rendering this as ‘foo’.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no