Subject: Re: bug#13200: 24.1.50; Ruby Mode Indentation after Here Docs

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:49:20 -0500

>>>> package.el should be able to ignore your "out of date" elpa version if
>>>> the bundled version is more recent, so it should work even if you don't
>>>> uninstall the elpa version.
>>> By ignore, do you mean it won't show up in the list of packages
>>> available to install?
>> No, I mean it should not be added to load-path during startup.
> That may add to the confusion in this case. "I installed ruby-mode 1.1, but
> it didn't do anything!", or something.

No, because package.el wouldn't let you install 1.1 when you have 1.2
bundled (at least, not without warning you).

So this would only cause the downloaded package to be suddenly
superseded by the bundled package when you upgrade Emacs, which is The
Right Thing To Do.

>>> Do you think we should bump it to 1.2?
>> Depends.  Is it a fork?
> I meant, bump the version of the bundled ruby-mode.

I understand this.  But the question still stands: is the bundled
version really a more up-to-date version, or do we have a fork and there
are good reasons why someone would want to use the ELPA version over the
built-in one?

> The "ruby-mode 1.1" doesn't contain any substantial changes, AFAICT, so
> there's nothing to merge. But it is present in both Marmalade and the
> original ELPA.

Sounds like it's not a fork.  So we should bump our version accordingly.

> I opened an issue at the repo of the Marmalade uploader
> (https://github.com/resure/ruby-mode/issues/1), and if that doesn't result
> in anything, I'll escalate to the current Marmalade maintainer.

I'm not sure that there's a problem on their side.  They also cater to
older Emacsen.

        Stefan