Subject: Re: bug#13200: 24.1.50; Ruby Mode Indentation after Here Docs

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 20:06:34 +0400

On 23.12.2012 19:41, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> package.el should be able to ignore your "out of date" elpa version if
>>> the bundled version is more recent, so it should work even if you don't
>>> uninstall the elpa version.
>> By ignore, do you mean it won't show up in the list of packages
>> available to install?
>
> No, I mean it should not be added to load-path during startup.

That may add to the confusion in this case. "I installed ruby-mode 1.1, 
but it didn't do anything!", or something.

>> The person who uploaded ruby-mode to Tom Tromey's ELPA (it's also
>> present in Marmalade) independently raised the package version to 1.1,
>> so it's higher than the bundled version.
>
> Ah!

Also, a few Ruby-related packages (rinari, rspec-mode) were set to 
depend on this version, but that's rectified now.

>> Do you think we should bump it to 1.2?
>
> Depends.  Is it a fork?

I meant, bump the version of the bundled ruby-mode.

The "ruby-mode 1.1" doesn't contain any substantial changes, AFAICT, so 
there's nothing to merge. But it is present in both Marmalade and the 
original ELPA.

I opened an issue at the repo of the Marmalade uploader 
(https://github.com/resure/ruby-mode/issues/1), and if that doesn't 
result in anything, I'll escalate to the current Marmalade maintainer.

There's no issue tracker for Tromey's archive. Maybe I should email him 
directly, instead.