Subject: bug#13194: 24.2; show-stopper in report-emacs-bug

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:20:40 -0500

reassign 13194 debbugs.gnu.org
stop

Devon Sean McCullough wrote:

> Current system: Report an Emacs bug after supper, get spam before breakfast.

I'm sympathetic, but think this is an exaggeration.
If I search for your unobscured literal email address, I find several
hits from sites such as: anonscm.debian.org, www.update.uu.se,
repo.or.cz, bitbucket.org, nntp.intelliseek.com, etc. Many of these are
mirrors of the Emacs source code (your address is in ChangeLogs), or of
the gnu.emacs.bug newsgroup (you've posted before with the same
address). None of these sites are under our control, and further
obscuring debbugs.gnu.org will have zero impact on them.

Currently, there are 663 stored Spam messages that arrived on
debbugs.gnu.org since November 1. The vast majority were sent to
bug-gnu-emacs@gnu etc. Only a tiny fraction (9) were sent to
[email-masked] addresses. In fact there are just two bugs that got spam
(5475 and 3643). Since the ###@debbugs addresses appear on the site with
the same obscuration, I conclude that it is fairly effective. If your
initial hyperbole were true, I would expect to see many more ###@debbugs
addresses getting spam, and many more recent bugs.

But I'm certainly open for specific suggestions for improvement.