Subject: bug#1319 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#1319: Change in where-is-internal causing describe-key problems)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#1319: Change in where-is-internal causing describe-key problems

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1319: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1319
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems
>From [email-masked] Fri Nov 14 22:22:15 2008
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: bug#1319: Change in where-is-internal causing describe-key problems
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 01:22:27 -0500

I checked in a slightly simpler fix to describe-function-1.  It's
probably not necessary to lose too much hair over this part of the code.

>From [email-masked] Sat Nov  8 19:20:04 2008
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 19:19:57 -0800
From: "Geoff Gole" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Change in where-is-internal causing describe-key problems

The behaviour of where-is-internal has changed in CVS emacs. Enter
view mode, M-: (where-is-internal 'self-insert-command nil nil nil) :

  22.2  => ([491520] [458752] [442368] [425984] [409600]...)
  CVS   => ([(128 . 4194303)])

This change breaks describe-function-1, used internally in
describe-key, causing a bound key to be printed as a non-ascii
character in some conditions. To reproduce the problem:

  emacs -Q
  C-h k k
  Switch to the *Help* buffer
  C-h k k

where-is-internal seems to be buggy, but perhaps describe-function-1
should also be doing more checking. I'm not sure if it should handle
input of the form ([(128 . 4194303)]) or not.