Subject: bug#13178: Query-replace fails soon after narrow-to-region

From: Teika Kazura <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 13:03:20 +0900 (JST)

Hi, Emacs developers.

In Emacs 24.1, query-replace soon after narrow-to-region fails. More
precisely, minibuffer says "Replaced 0 occurrences", and the
query-replace finishes even if there're matches. I don't think it's a
recent regresion.

Steps to reproduce:
0. emacs -Q
1. Open a buffer.
2. Set mark, and do narrow-to-region
3. Move to the top of the narrowed buffer.
4. Do query-replace.
5. minibuffer says "Replaced 0 occurrences", and the query-replace
   finishes. If you do query-replace again, then it starts correctly.

It seems that some extra commands between each step hinder to reproduce.
Probably you have to enable narrow-to-region beforehand, and
query-replace history is necessary, so that "M-% <enter>" can invoke
a query-replace.

In fact, it was already reported in bug #8952:
  http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8952
but as a "wishlist", mixed with several other things. So I dare to
submit a separate entry.

I've been bothered by this bug for years, but I didn't know how to
reproduce it. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)