Subject: bug#13167: 24.3.50; C-x right C-x left interferes with buffer order

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:03:25 +0100

> I don't see something analogous in browsers too, but in Emacs
 > for frame-local buffer lists, burying implies a ring structure
 > (a circular list) where popping the first buffer from the top of
 > the ring pushes it to the bottom.  It seems that reported problems are
 > caused by the fact that window-local buffers don't form a circular ring.

A circular ring doesn't work here.  When I create a new window I have to
feed `switch-to-prev-buffer' and `switch-to-next-buffer' with the
buffers from the frame's and/or the global buffer list.  That's what
users expect from the old behavior which IIRC used `other-buffer' for
this purpose.  And I have to continue to do that whenever I'm at the end
of the lists of a window's previous and next buffers.

 > Firefox's TabMixPlus provides 6 options to focus
 > after closing the current tab:
 >
 > 1. First tab
 > 2. Left tab
 > 3. Right tab
 > 4. Last tab
 > 5. Opener/right tab
 > 6. Last opened tab
 >
 > Currently `q' in Emacs performs the option 3 "Right tab" that means
 > to restore the last buffer in the list of previous buffer (or maybe it's
 > the option 6 "Last opened tab"?).

I think it's 6 which is the only navigation-sensitive option.

All other options remember only the creation time of tabs and disregard
navigation.

 > But I believe that more useful would be
 > the option 5 "Opener/right tab" where Opener means the buffer that
 > initially displayed the current buffer, so `q' should restore it.
 > If you disagree then maybe this should be configurable in Emacs?

This might be a good idea.  BTW I'm using option 5 on Firefox and at
least 20 times a day I'm profoundly unhappy with it.  I already wonder
whether the behavior I'd prefer is "Opener/Last opened tab".

But it's not easy to compare Firefox tabs to our windows' buffer lists.
In particular when you open links in the background like me.

martin