Subject: bug#13167: 24.3.50; C-x right C-x left interferes with buffer order

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:17:54 +0200

>> To not maintain the same markers twice, `C-x left' could add the
>> current buffer with markers only once to the list of next buffers,
>> but not to the list of previous buffers.  Do I miss something
>> why this won't work?
>
> If we did that, we'd probably get rid of the behavior you started this
> thread with.  But the current semantics is "when we have to replace a
> buffer in a window with another one, try taking the buffer that has been
> shown in that window before the present one".  I'm not quite sure how to
> describe what you want to do instead.

I think that C-x right and C-x left should behave like the "Next" and
"Prev" buttons in a browser where clicking the "Next" button adds the
current page to the list of previous pages, removes the first page from
the list of next pages and displays it.  Clicking the "Prev" button adds
the current page to the list of next pages, removes the first page from
the list of previous pages and displays it.

It's disturbing that such unobtrusive action can mislead quit-window
to restore a buffer that was only temporarily shown in that window
with C-x right C-x left.  I believe C-x right and C-x left should be
special to not affect the logic of "try taking the buffer that has been
shown in that window before the present one".