Subject: Re: bug#13160: 24.3.50; [PATCH] man page completion support beyond man-db

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:00:10 -0500

>>>> Does it fix an actual bug? [ Sorry if it does fix a real bug and this
>>>> was mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I haven't found the time to
>>>> read all threads as thoroughly as I'd like.  ]
>>> My proposed change log entry indicates that the cache handling is rather
>>> bogus (complete for "foo" then for "bar" and then for "foo" again and
>>> "man -k ^foo" will be run again and the result prepended to the cache).
>> Oh, indeed.  Fixed with the trivial patch below, tho.
> Well yes, you nuke the old content, whis is what the previous versions
> of my patches proposed here do as well, but this can hardly be called
> a useful cache then.

It can still be very useful: when you do M-x man RET pe TAB r TAB TAB
it will only run `man' once instead of 3 or more times.
That's the main purpose of the cache.  The fact that the cache is
preserved between runs of M-x man is probably more a misfeature, since
it means that the cache is never refreshed (i.e. gets out of date after
"aptitude upgrade").

        Stefan