Subject: bug#13160: 24.3.50; [PATCH] man page completion support beyond man-db

From: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 22:35:43 +0100

On Fri, Dec 14 2012, Kevin Ryde wrote:

>> +(defvar Man-keyword-completion-twiddle
>> +  (cond
>> +   ;; man-db-* or man-*.
>> +   ((memq system-type '(gnu gnu/linux gnu/kfreebsd))
>> +    "^")
>> +   (t
>> +    ""))
>
> You'd much prefer to avoid that.  For a start `system-type' is probably
> unreliable to distinguish the flavour of man.  The outputs look close
> enough / different enough for a single parse/split/etc.

It's not used for parsing, it's only prepended to the search string
passed to `man -k'.  And I'd happily ditch it since, as the doc string
indicates, it's not really necessary, but I'm not sure about performance
implications.

Thanks for the comments,

Wolfgang