Subject: 24.3.50; `find-file-noselect' should not display or log messages

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:46:07 -0800

I'm using `find-file-noselect', and I see this in *Messages*:
 
 Note: file is write protected
 
First, that is not helpful at all, without saying WHICH file is
write-protected.
 
More importantly, why does it make sense to display or record
such a message when the file is not visited interactively?
 
This message comes from `after-find-file'.  And there are umpteen
additional such messages issued from this function.  The call to
`after-find-file' is in `find-file-noselect-1'.
 
I see that this is nothing new - it is the case even in Emacs 20.
Nevertheless, I do not understand why `find-file-noselect' would issue
messages.
 
If you decide to keep this behavior, please consider adding the file
name to such a message.  At least that way, a user can learn something
from the *Messages* log.
 
In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-12-07 on MS-W7-DANI
Bzr revision: 111150 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/include -Ic:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/src
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libpng-1.2.37-lib/include -Ic:/emacs/libs/zlib-1.2.5
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1-lib/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4-lib/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1-lib/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8-w32-bin/include/libxml2
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9-w32-bin/include
 -Ic:/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.9.2-1-lib/include'