Subject: RE: bug#13159: 24.3.50; `find-file-noselect' should not display or log messages

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 09:46:18 -0800

> If you invoke this function non-interactively, pass it a non-nil value
> as the 2nd argument.  That should shut up any messages from this
> function or the subroutines it calls....
> Does this solve your problem?

Good point, Eli.  And I do use that arg in many places.

I guess the problem here is that I do want actual warnings to be printed (to
*Messages*), but:

1. "Note: File is write-protected" is NOT a warning - it's just some extra
information - note the "Note:".

2. Such information about a particular file is anyway useless in a messages log
if it does not include the file name.

IOW, in this case, I would want warnings to be logged, and I would want them to
indicate the files that had problems.  I don't need to log extra informational
notices, and I don't need to log even warnings that do not help users because
they don't mention the problematic file.

So thanks for pointing that out, but I think the proper fix here is to:

a. not have parameter NOWARN treat non-warning messages the same as warnings
and,

b. especially, add the file name to all file-specific messages, including
warnings.

Does that make sense?