Subject: bug#13156: closed (Re: bug#13156: dedicated face for parentheses in lisp modes)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 01:06:03 +0000

Your bug report

#13156: dedicated face for parentheses in lisp modes

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13156: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13156
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13156: dedicated face for parentheses in lisp modes
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Cc: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 03:05:40 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 13156 + wontfix
thanks

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Could you please add a `paren-face' that could be used in lisp modes
>> (and possibly others) to dim (or highlight) parentheses.  I am currently
>> using the attached library to do this but think it would make sense if
>> this functionality was built-in.
>
> I don't think it's sufficiently useful in general.

Since this was rejected in 2012, I'm closing it as wontfix.

If anyone disagrees with that, feel free to reopen.

Thanks,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: dedicated face for parentheses in lisp modes
From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 13:19:07 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello

Could you please add a `paren-face' that could be used in lisp modes
(and possibly others) to dim (or highlight) parentheses.  I am currently
using the attached library to do this but think it would make sense if
this functionality was built-in.

Being very simple `parenface.el' just unconditionally adds an additional
keyword to `[lisp|scheme]-font-lock-keywords' when loaded.

I see two ways of implementing this as part of Emacs.

1. Add the keyword to `[lisp|scheme]-font-lock-keywords-2' directly and
   let `paren-face' inherit from `default'.  Users who actually want
   parens to be dimmed or highlight can then customize the former.

2. Define a local minor mode that adds the additional keywords.

I would prefer (1) but maybe that is not an option because it might
negatively affects font-lock's performance.

If this has to be a mode then I am happy to write it.  I haven't done
so yet because `parenface.el' works fine for me and because I would
actually prefer (1).

  Thanks for considering,
  Jonas