Subject: Re: bug#13152: 24.2.90; [REGRESSION] dired-get-marked-files changed

From: Leo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:05:24 +0800

On 2012-12-14 08:46 +0800, Juri Linkov wrote:
> The doubt raises the fact that evaluating the expression after
> selecting " *Marked Files*" was intentionally coded this way
> in `dired-mark-pop-up':
>
> 	       (with-selected-window window
> 		 (unwind-protect
> 		     (apply function args)
> 		   (when (window-live-p window)
> 		     (quit-restore-window window 'kill))))
>
> I guess the reason was to allow quit-restore-window to kill the
> " *Marked Files*" buffer after the minibuffer (that reads a command)
> is displayed and exited in `(apply function args)'.

Could be but I only know superficially about the new `window' thingie.
My concern is mainly from the user's point of view. This is a trap that
is there to trick every user as soon as they start using lisp expression
for COMMAND. And if we let dired-mark-pop-up run in the HIDDEN ' *marked
files*' buffer without throwing an error, users might grow to rely on
it. Harder to get it right later.

I think the old behaviour is probably not the best but better, and eval
COMMAND should be in the dired buffer. This is what users expect.

Leo