Subject: Re: bug#13151: 24.2; tramp with ido: enters self-killing loop when opening /ftp: and hitting enter.

From: Arne Babenhauserheide <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:43:55 +0100

Hi Michael,

> > Dear Hurd Hackers,
> 
> Wrong movie. This is "Emacs and her lovers" :-)

Argl, that happens when the hands go into autopilot… :)

> > Do you have an idea what happened?
> 
> You have tried to save your file on the machine "ftp", using ssh to
> connect there. Is that what you intend?

That is not what I intended. I wanted to connect to
/ftp:user:password@ftpserver, but decided to just try confirming to
see if tramp would then show me the previously used ftp-logins (I had
forgotten my ftp-username and wanted to avoid looking it up :) ).

Since that led to finding a bug, I don’t regret it :)

> Anyway, I could reproduce the problem locally, when ido-mode is
> enabled. 

Great! Thanks for checking!

> I have seen in the past that ido makes some strange things with
> Tramp, calling internal functions which haven't been published
> publicly. Maybe it's time to clean up.

That would be cool! Ido and tramp together are a really nice team, but
there are some rough edges which make them dangerous to recommend to
new users…

Best wishes,
Arne