Subject: Re: bug#13151: 24.2; tramp with ido: enters self-killing loop when opening /ftp: and hitting enter.

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 13:15:15 +0100

Arne Babenhauserheide <[email-masked]> writes:

> Dear Hurd Hackers,

Wrong movie. This is "Emacs and her lovers" :-)

> I can’t perfectly trace back why I get this breakage, but I decided to
> tell you anyway since you might have better ways to diagnose it than
> me.
>
> I used C-x C-w to save a file while in html-mode, then entered /ftp:
> and hit enter when the prompt asked me to [Confirm].
>
> Now I cannot use C-x C-w or C-x C-f from that buffer anymore (from
> other buffers I can, and C-x C-s still works, too). My messages buffer
> gives me this error:
>
> \ Opening connection for arne@ftp using ssh
> Tramp: Opening connection for arne@ftp using ssh...done
> byte-code: Process died
>
> Do you have an idea what happened?

You have tried to save your file on the machine "ftp", using ssh to
connect there. Is that what you intend?

Anyway, I could reproduce the problem locally, when ido-mode is
enabled. Without ido, there is just an error message, but no blocking
buffer or alike.

Unfortunately, I'm not an ido expert. I have seen in the past that ido
makes some strange things with Tramp, calling internal functions which
haven't been published publicly. Maybe it's time to clean up.

> Best wishes,
> Arne

Best regards, Michael.