Subject: bug#13149: 24.3.50; Emacs thinks file was changed outside Emacs, but it was not

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:55:44 +0200

> From: Uwe Siart <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:39:40 +0100
> 
> Now that 24.3 windows binaries have been released I observe exactly the
> same problem on my XP box. I don't know how to reproduce it 100%. It
> happens sporadically, but it happens. And yes, my user files are on a
> FAT32 partition.
> 
> Is there a fix for it, e.g. some customization?

The fix for this bug is in the trunk, it didn't make it into Emacs
24.3.  So I don't think you can do anything to avoid these annoyances,
especially since you don't build your Emacs (if you did, I could
perhaps show you how to work around that by a simple source change).

> Should I avoid FAT32? Or do we have to live with it?

I can only say that I never saw this on NTFS filesystems that I use
every day with Emacs 24.3.  (Why do you use FAT32, btw? it's so much
worse than NTFS.)